Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Had a MD appointment today via "Infernal Machine" computer, surprise actually was pretty good- EZ in fact. never did that before and never would have if not for the Wuhan Virus. Right now its safer for the both the medics and the patients. Did not have to drive or go to the MD's office/ hospital full of all kinds of bugs in the best of times. MD faxed RX to local pharmacy- done deal.

Try it- you might like it.

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
Trying to make driving safer for the wife while she's out buying necessities.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Well the cars, truck, and my motorcycle cleaned, washed and waxed. Garages cleaned out, leaves raked, mowing done, some extra landscaping done for the wife, all guns cleaned and polished. I didn't know I could get so much accomplished in just a last few weeks !!!!! Oh yes ...... Watched about every Gunsmoke they ever produced both the 1/2 hour and hour ones in both color and black/white. :cool:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Being retired, other than not going much of anywhere nothing has really changed for me around here, for me anyway. Keeping up with yardwork, getting garage cleaned up and usable, making sawdust, reloading, casting, reading, TV...lather, rinse, repeat.
My wife is a school nurse and has been home going on 3 weeks now. She has to go in occasionally but is supposed to be working from home. Neither of us are sure how that is supposed to work and we're basically trying to keep from tripping over each other.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I walk my boy a lot more now, it's healthy to get out and walk. Managed to drop 2 pounds with the extra walking. I live in an older neighborhood on the edge of town so plenty of room to let the dog run.

Does seem to get rid of the stress until I get on the net or watch tv.

So I putter like old retired men do and organize what I organized before. Take on short cleaning projects or a little yard work.

Interesting how much I find I forgot I owned, it's like finding Easter eggs as a kid.:D

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Interesting to me how much has happened in just two days after the other thread was locked. New WH speculation on the eventual Pandemic fatality numbers are being published and should be sobering.

With friends in Oregon (606 infected /19 dead) and Washington (4896/195) besides being long distance neighbors has encouraged me to start watching their infection numbers compared to Idaho (415/7). Lock downs seem to be making a difference as our numbers here continue to double every 3 or 4 days now instead of every 2 days.

After accepting the financial shock of the economical shut down even some of my hard core friends are just beginning to appreciate the social lock down as news of their neighbors, family and friends being touched in one way or another by this virus.

My virtual brother and I have climbed and skied together since middle school while growing up in Northern Idaho. We've been lucky enough to continue that, getting out together at least a couple times a year on extended trips. Dave married a English girl a few years ago and they later adopted a young English lad. Dave's a standup comedian and travels literally all over the world doing comedy for expat communities. Be it China, Singapore, Dubai, Norway, Morocco Europe and back to America. He does get around.

When England and the rest of Europe locked down Dave was stuck in Norway, worried about getting back to London where he lives. Certainly he is the guy I know to most likely to get the virus just by his travel schedule. Bad news? He did test positive shortly after getting back to London. Good news is he is doing fine now. He's in his mid 50s, typically healthy, and in decent shape. Result was he self isolated at home. Wife and son tested positive as well but were much less effected. All three seemingly well on their way to recovery. Likely the best case scenario from a 1st hand account of the infection I've heard to date.

Below, Dave following me on an ice climb last winter, in Chamonix France.

He always likes to be first at everything :) I have no problem with him being first on this one!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Oregon is the 9th largest state in the nation at about 98,400 square miles. We have 36 counties so while we have 600+ infected and 19 deaths it gives you the feeling nothing is happening here. Oregon did apply for federal help so it must be for something comming our way because the Feds granted the application. In my county there has been two deaths since the shutdown start about March 15.

On my walk this morning I saw a seed mill open and working. Parking lot full of rigs and big trucks getting loaded with grass seed. It's wet and rainy so only a couple of die hard joggers out on the streets. No traffic, walked quite a ways and only saw two rigs on the roads.

So I finished my 357 loading last night and time to move on to 38s. I have to package the 357s first and find the right shooting bag that's range ready. I do like having ammo ready for the range. My gun club is the best in the state, I used to compete in IPSC going range to range and we are really set up nice. Here we are guys, our clubs website.

https://www.arpc.info

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Same here, seems like nothing happening. But many, many businesses closed, traffic is lighter. No more going out for dinner on the weekend. Nothing open. Grocery stores getting back to normal and those that can working at home. Hasn't changed anything for me other than grocery shopping and the wife working at home. Gun stores out of most anything useful. Not that I need anything just an observation. 600,000 in our metro area.

But plenty of stories starting to surface from the hard hit areas and why social distancing and the business closures make sense. Some of the stories are very sobering.

https://people.com/health/washington-choir-members-die-after-rehearsal-amid-coronavirus-spread/

The current prediction is the metro areas will be first and hardest hit and then the rural areas after that. Hopefully the lock downs make a difference and a slower spread in the rural areas. And the effects health wise will be worth the economic damage done. Seems at the moment it was smart thinking to lock up tight as soon as possible.

We aren't locked down like Washington State but even here it is interesting to see how easily people are accepting the inconveniences and obvious financial set back of not being able to work.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Yes so many stories that it creates a great anxiety. I read news posted on other sites and often it's really ugly. Yet I look out my front window and it's all normal except it's really quiet. I can normally hear the freeway five miles away as a low drone of wheels on the pavement. It's so quiet I can hear my dogs stomach gurgle.:D

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Agreed. I have been spreading fertilizer last few days and getting the irrigation ditches cleaned out for water coming in mid April. Just like I do every year. Just vaccinated the horses which I do Spring and Fall. We still have snow up high, but the local ski area is closed because of the virus. I'll try to get a couple more back country ski days in before it is all gone. Just like I would do any Spring.

I drive by our local Urgent Care down the street and tents are set up with folks fully suited doing drive by testing in the parking lot. Still like a bad Sci-Fi movie than reality to me.

I was sorry to hear Dave and his family getting infected but at least it wasn't the typical horror story we can all read about. But no question, glad it was him and not me :) Bottom line...it is bad stuff. Thankfully most of us will live through it if we stay buttoned down long enough. Just going to take a while. I wouldn't think most serious gun owners/users are long on patience :) And there is the rub.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
It means a lot to hear how others cope with these times, I talk to my family and tell them what I read. I have always had respect for my fellow Americans especially those in the gun culture. That respect grows every day in this crisis. The folks keeping this country going are the real hero's in life, they won't win an award and don't get much thanks but they are America at its best.

Ya I know it's patriotic dribble but to me it's all true. It will be the decent hard working Americans that get us back on our feet, may God bless them.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Life here is a lot more quite with the shops closed and the restaurants. Not many tourist now. Other than that not much change for us except it's hard to find TP or paper towels. Stay well and wash your hands.:)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Seven Year Wait

My adult kids won't let us leave the house, although we did sneak out one evening to get a Frosty for Dixie from Wendy's.
Our kids bring us what we need but they leave it on the porch and won't come in the house.

Worst thing that happened is related to the gun club.
Although I'm a member of the Arvada (CO) club with an indoor range, I've been on the "Wait" list for the Boulder club that has a great outdoor range.
Finally, after seven years on the wait list I received the notice that I am now eligible. I received the notice just days before the state wide lock down.
The balance of the membership process is now on hold.
Oh well, except for the significant reduction of the "Nest Egg" I guess we are not too bad off.
Mac

Attachments

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
This may ring true for some.

"Occurred to me that most strong male personalities like to fix everything and have little patience to wait for results. That doesn't get much done with horses. You'll end up making what ever was bad, worse, if you are in a hurry. Generally better to back up, take a breath, bite your tongue if required and give it time to fix itself so you don't have to contend with the wreckage you created by getting in a hurry. Typically that ends up being a better use of one's time. "

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hmmmmm.....
I wonder what that crud was that clobbered everybody in December..........
Don't know but I had it and don't want anything like it again.
Wife's working from home(construction materials purchaser)and won't let me bother her during work hours...
I have a dozen collector/ hotrod vehicles and I'm going through each one with a list and servicing/repairing as necessary.
Don't have a builder project going on right now so it's a good time for this to happen.

Rebuilt the front suspension and took care of a noisy axle bearing on my '32 Sedan the last two days. It was time after 87,000 miles.
20200331_151753_1585682469786.jpg 20200331_151803_1585682483100.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Very strange times,even stranger people. The news is all over the place with numbers. This has been going on awhile but as of today there are roughly 40,000 dead worldwide. Now two days ago a Dr who is supposed to have some credibility made the statement on TV that 100,000 Americans COULD die,as of today the US death toll is 3100. Here in CA,the governor made the statement that 25 M could be Infected,again
that number isnt even close to what the actual number is today. Pete

·
Registered
781 Posts
Very strange times,even stranger people. The news is all over the place with numbers. This has been going on awhile but as of today there are roughly 40,000 dead worldwide. Now two days ago a Dr who is supposed to have some credibility made the statement on TV that 100,000 Americans COULD die,as of today the US death toll is 3100. Here in CA,the governor made the statement that 25 M could be Infected,again
that number isnt even close to what the actual number is today. Pete
Some Governors have been crying and escalating numbers for a while.
They're all performing for some of that federal money.
Dewine in Ohio has been pretty good so far.
New York not so much.

1 - 20 of 301 Posts