Colt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
We don't have enough mask for everyone but everyone who needs one wears one. It only makes sense if you have one to wear it. Even with a 6 foot social distance as you walk you move through someone's breath that was just released. A mask could protect you. I am going to cope with this by protecting myself, I will wear what protection I can. I don't have the mask needed but when I go out I will wear something to cover my face (not my eyes of course:rolleyes:)

As soon as I can get good mask I will move on with life as normal.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I saw and interview where Dr. Fauci was asked about the population wearing masks.

He said, they were generally only 50% effective for prevention, but then commented 50% is better than nothing. The better answer is simply to stay home and stay away from other people.

But all that is changing as well. Scott pointed out the real problem. Not enough masks available.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/03/us-currently-has-10percent-of-face-masks-needed-for-a-full-blown-coronavirus-pandemic-hhs-official-says.html

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Don't worry, the mask are next.
Frankly I think as soon as this virus started in China there should have been a warning to wear a mask to protect older people. Unfortunately there are not enough mask because they were used up with H1N1 and not replaced in stock.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I saw and interview where Dr. Fauci was asked about the population wearing masks.

He said, they were generally only 50% effective for prevention, but then commented 50% is better than nothing. The better answer is simply to stay home and stay away from other people.
Not arguing but if you can cut your risk by 50% it seems money well spent. The death rate would go down too.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Frankly I think as soon as this virus started in China there should have been a warning to wear a mask to protect older people. Unfortunately there are not enough mask because they were used up with H1N1 and not replaced in stock.
In China the pollution is so bad that the Chinese wear the masks almost on a regular basis.
Having worked in the boat yards it would seem to me that a simple particle mask would be appropriate for general use. Its interesting that the N95 masks are also used in the industry.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
In China the pollution is so bad that the Chinese wear the masks almost on a regular basis.
Having worked in the boat yards it would seem to me that a simple particle mask would be appropriate for general use. Its interesting that the N95 masks are also used in the industry.
I have been reading up on mask and the 95 designation stands for 95% of the particles are blocked. As an old man I am going to wear a mask when I go out today, I have some dust mask from painting. If I can reduce my risk then it's worth the pita.

I was thinking today that if we old folks had been warned to wear a mask in the beginning then it might have saved some good people. A simple mask on old unhealthy people might have saved them. Too bad they didn't replace all that were used up by H1N1.:bang_wall:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It would not be right to tell the people they need to wear the mask when outside of their home when there is not enough mask yet, when the supply is built up, it will be mandatory, at least untill the threat is gone,... and prob. a good thing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Do as we say, not as we do!! Watched a few of the press briefings with everyone up at the podium, not six feet from each other, and saw no masks! Why is that?? Oh wait....never mind!! Lol.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
459459 said:
…..As soon as I can get a good mask I will move on with life as normal.

With all due respect. Life isn't going to be normal for a good long time yet. Thinking a mask is gonna make life normal might well be a mistake. Thinking a mask is going to protect you when hundreds of health care workers taking all the precautions they have available are still getting sick and some dying, you might want to rethink that.

I'm no doctor but from what I can tell the best precaution is simply stay away from other people. Using a mask when required to go into town? Great idea. But if you want to stay healthy...by most accounts the best way to do that is stay home and avoid contact with others.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Today, some Senior Citizens were lined up outside the grocery store at 6:58 AM to get in for early morning shopping. A young man about 30, walks up to the head of the line and steps in front of the old lady who is first in line! She just wacks him ten times with her cane and he went back to his car. Five minutes later the same young man starts walking to the head of the line once again when an old gentleman sticks his cane out and trips him. While he’s down, another old man kicks him and says, “Don’t you mess with us old folks, you young whipper snapper, we were here first”. To which the young man replies, “no matter how long you’ve been in line, you won’t ever get in if you don’t let me unlock the door”!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
With all due respect. Life isn't going to be normal for a good long time yet. Thinking a mask is gonna make life normal might well be a mistake. Thinking a mask is going to protect you when hundreds of health care workers taking all the precautions they have available are still getting sick and some dying, you might want to rethink that.

I'm no doctor but from what I can tell the best precaution is simply stay away from other people. Using a mask when required to go into town? Great idea. But if you want to stay healthy...by most accounts the best way to do that is stay home and avoid contact with others.
I appreciate the decent tone of our conversation and let me express my respect back in that tone. To me it's about risk and fact is I can't stay home forever as I get hungry just like you guys do. I put on my mask today and went to the market to get more food as the time line is the end of June for this to pass.

It would have been nice to buy all I needed but the stores are running limits on some goods. I have increased my hand washing and showers so I was running out of bar soap and bottle soap. That big jug of bottle soap empty quick when you wash your hands all day.

Store had lots of food and produce but since I had limits it means I will have to get out again and take more risk.

The mask was common and about 40% of everyone shopping wore a mask. I made jokes asking "who is that masked man?" Just to ease the stress

What's funny to me is some time ago I bought a box of mask for two reasons, I have bad alergies in the spring and have to wear one if I go to the range and I wear one when I paint.

I still had a few in the box and they turned out to be N95 industrial mask. That and a bottle of hand sanitizer and I was ready for the market. Cope, this is how I cope.

Jim

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Shopping from home...staying safe and getting a good laugh now and then.

I placed an order online with Walmart Saturday evening for a 45 gallon capacity tool/storage box to carry in the back of my side x side. They had a much better price on the same item than other providers I searched. The dimensions of the box are 40x22x20". It shipped in a box slightly larger. So I figured it would not ship USPS...and I was right.

I got an email update Sunday afternoon from Walmart showing the shipping label had been created and the package was due to arrive the next day, Monday. Monday rolled around and I checked the FedEx detailed tracking on the package. The label was created and package shown shipped from Plainfield, IN. We live about 45-50 minutes SE of Plainfield. The package was received by FedEx in Zionsville, IN about midnight Sunday evening. Zionsville is about 50 minutes north of us, on the NW side of Indianapolis. We are located near Shelbyville. Here's a map for reference:

So when I checked the FedEx tracking Monday, I noticed the package wasn't scheduled to be delivered until Tuesday. I thought that was odd, but concluded it was just due to the virus and the shipping backlog. So I didn't think much about it until Tuesday morning, when I checked the detailed tracking activity again. Turns out, FedEx decided to give my big, bulky package a ride to Kentucky!

My package did arrive late Tuesday morning. Here is a screenshot of the tracking activity. That package traveled within 15 minutes of the house twice before it finally left Indianapolis to be delivered to the house. Says a lot of about efficiency...or maybe more about job security! :)

Sometimes, all you can do is laugh.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
I sold some item on eBay and I get an email: "did you send it to the right address, my item is in San Francisco."
So I check the tracking number, sure enough his package is in Frisco. So I end him an email;
"Yes I did use the correct address, but I always go to Frisco on my way to Virginia from Florida."
USPS: FL to CA to VA.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
My Great Niece lives in Dallas and she was told by her Doctor that he believes that she has it but can not test her for it unless she gets worse. So she's staying home. The doctor does not want her to go to the ER because she might infect other people. I thought if you had the symptoms you got tested. But I was told otherwise. She's in her early 20's.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Before you take your packages inside might be a good idea to spray them down with lysol before you take them inside. Some warehouses have had Wuhan virus outbreaks. jmo

36- hope your niece gets well soon

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Before you take your packages inside might be a good idea to spray them down with lysol before you take them inside. Some warehouses have had Wuhan virus outbreaks. jmo
I left most everything in the paper bags and will give it some time before I take something out. Wash it and go from there.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Anything that comes in our house doesn't get placed on counters...boxes go right out to the trash...plastic bags get trashed...the counters get wiped down with disinfectant immediately. My wife went through the house disinfecting every surface, every door knob or handle and every bath surface. I was lucky to escape the disinfecting process when she was on this mission. I can't even sleep with one eye open as that stuff will sting!

Reactions: Scott Gahimer

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Anything that comes in our house doesn't get placed on counters...boxes go right out to the trash...plastic bags get trashed...the counters get wiped down with disinfectant immediately. My wife went through the house disinfecting every surface, every door knob or handle and every bath surface. I was lucky to escape the disinfecting process when she was on this mission. I can't even sleep with one eye open as that stuff will sting!
I hope you take this in jest as its my lame effort to be funny. We are lucky they don't make full human size prophylactics or the women would make us wear them just comming in from the garage. Clean freaks...:bang_wall:

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Yeah...my wife is hygiene happy as her mother was and the same with mine. I wonder sometimes who would have been the biggest clean freak...her mom or mine. Nothing wrong with insisting on cleanliness.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Yeah...my wife is hygiene happy as her mother was and the same with mine. I wonder sometimes who would have been the biggest clean freak...her mom or mine. Nothing wrong with insisting on cleanliness.
Remember you said that when she runs your guns through the dish washer.:D

41 - 60 of 301 Posts