Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that a layer of copper is plated or bonded in some manner to the revolver metal prior to nickle plating. My question is has anyone seen or have a photo of a revolver or components after the copper plating but prior to nickle plating? If a photo has previously been posted I would appreciate a link.

Thank you, Bill

·
Registered
670 Posts
I don't think they do it anymore. They have better, spelled cheaper, ways to do it now. They used to use it under spring steel chrome bumpers on older cars too. The chrome is the only part that doesn't rust and you still find them out in the wilds sometimes. The chrome will peel if you get a nick that moisture can get under. I think the old nickel has the same issues with moisture or anything containing ammonia, that gets in through a break in finish.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Havent seen one but I read a story where elmer keith knew some oddball that had one and traded it for a woman!
A gun for a woman? Straight up? I've got lots of guns....Don't have a woman....Hmmm....I've got a Super Blackhawk that don't shoot for s**t....Wonder what kind of gal I could get for that? :confused: One that couldn't cook I 'spose. I figure a gun would probably be cheaper in the long run though. Sure as hell aint tradin one of my 1st gens for one, unless we're talking Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I understand that a layer of copper is plated or bonded in some manner to the revolver metal prior to nickle plating. My question is has anyone seen or have a photo of a revolver or components after the copper plating but prior to nickle plating? If a photo has previously been posted I would appreciate a link.

Thank you, Bill
My son works at a chrome plating shop and I was seriously considering having 1 copper then cleared just to sit in the display cabinet to look at,want to do a python or diamondback thats in poor condition

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
When the late great gun engraver Frank Leaman made up my matced pair of Colt .45's in the 80's he said he would put his "antique nickel" finish on it. You know how he did it? He just skipped the copper and applied the nickel right on the metal. It didn't wear off real fast but it did wear off where there's a lot of skin traffic. I love the aged look they have now. You can't see it much in my lousy pics, though.

·
Registered
670 Posts
A gun for a woman? Straight up? I've got lots of guns....Don't have a woman....Hmmm....I've got a Super Blackhawk that don't shoot for s**t....Wonder what kind of gal I could get for that? :confused: One that couldn't cook I 'spose. I figure a gun would probably be cheaper in the long run though. Sure as hell aint tradin one of my 1st gens for one, unless we're talking Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn. :rolleyes:
I don't think I would trade any Colt for any woman, who is by all measure...well, past her prime to be polite. Dead to be more precise.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
I have been thinking for about 25 years now to have a Gun 'White Cadmium' plated, then to Buff that gently...the result looks just like Cast, Polished Aluminum.

It probably would not wear very well, Cadmium being realtively soft and all, but, it would sure be an interesting look.

The best Nickel Plating was always directly on the Steel, never over a layer of Copper Plating.

There is no reason to even have any Copper layer under the Nickel anyway unless needing it to fill in 'pits' from prior Rust, where one works the Copper layer in various ways til one acheives a smooth Surface for the Nickel to then hide the Multitude-of-Sins the method is useful for hiding.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the photo madf2 and thanks to others for the information. I guess that a copper-clad revolver is rarely encountered.

Regards, Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts