Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the correct box and grips for a 4" Matte Stainless. I am going to go check out tomorrow supposedly a NIB example

Serial # T37893' I think that places it in 1986 or 1987

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
What would be the correct box and grips for a 4" Matte Stainless. I am going to go check out tomorrow supposedly a NIB example

Serial # T37893' I think that places it in 1986 or 1987
Would expect, if time frame correct, the burgundy box w/ yellow label, & the union thing on other end.
Also most likely rubber grips, w/ gold medallions.
HTH.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Based on some input from another member it looks like this is a 1985 Mfg. Although I have not seen the gun yet he is telling me that it has a "Brown Box" probably wood grain. He also states it has wood grips. not sure if thats correct. Does anyone know when Pythons went to rubber grips? I will know more when I get a look at it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The serial number is either late 85 or early 86. That makes it tough. 85 = brown box, 86 = maroon.

Also, what I've never seen answered is, if it was manufacturered in 85 but not shipped until 86, what box would it have.

Also, did they keep using the brown boxes until the ran out which could have run sometime into 86, or did they start using the maroon boxes earlier than Jan 86.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone care to guess what grips would be original for this gun? Seems like it would be right around the time that Colt would be starting a transition to rubber grips.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
The serial number is either late 85 or early 86. That makes it tough. 85 = brown box, 86 = maroon.

Also, what I've never seen answered is, if it was manufacturered in 85 but not shipped until 86, what box would it have.

Also, did they keep using the brown boxes until the ran out which could have run sometime into 86, or did they start using the maroon boxes earlier than Jan 86.
My NIB 1985 satin SS 2 1/2" came in maroon box T39735 and rubber grips,non pachmayr, presentation style with gold meds.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See attached picture of the box end label for the Python in Question. I didn't take any pictures of the Gun as it is NIB 4' Stainless with wood grips. I am going to meet the guy tomorrow to complete the sale. He also offered me a Series 70 1911 and Ace conversion kit. I started another thread trying to get an idea as to the value of that package.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...ing-series-70-gold-cup-22-conversion-kit.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I would say wood box is right and wood grips as well. They were mixing them up then between rubber and wood. the short barrels were with rubber I have seen that and have seen 6 " with wood but 4" not positive since I never had any interest for them. I can check the catalog to get you some type of base not the bible mind you just a guide.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Okay, in the 1985 catalog it shows the 4" STS gun coming with rubber grips. Now remember this catalog was made in 1984 since they make them up in advance to have it for 1985. So that being said they were already placing rubber on the STS guns and nickel guns in 1984. Blue guns came with wood.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your help. Everything looks good on this one. I'm going to do the paperwork tomorrow. I will post pictures when I pick it up in 10 days

1 - 11 of 11 Posts