Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Combat Commander in satin nickel today. It has two sets of Colt grips. One set are smooth in a light-colored finish, the other are checkered in a dark walnut. Both have gold Colt medallions.

Are either set the correct grips for this year?

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
A Combat Commander of 1973 vintage should have the "sand-blasted" wood stocks. While they are not checkered, they are not really smooth either. They are about a medium honey color, with gold medallions.

Whether your description of "smooth in a light-colored finish" describes what should be on a 1973 Combat Commander, I cannot say. Pictures?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like them, I'll post some pics tonight to make certain. Thanks Judge

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Elliot,

Did you put a green felt sticky pad over that rivet in your Boyt case? :p
Yes, Good eye T.May. I have a lot of the cases and put felt stick on dots over the metal rivets to make sure none of my guns get scratched during storage or transportation.

·
Registered
81 Posts
All of the "sandblasted" grips I own + all others I've seen have silver medallions. They vary in color from very dark brown to the honey color noted above. If you have a set with gold medallions, be cool to see a pic.

Funnel

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the Commander....

IMG_0026-1.jpg IMG_0027-2.jpg

·
Registered
81 Posts
Really nice Commander. A little tough to tell, but if those grips are perfectly even and smooth - in my opinion they're aftermarket grips or maybe Colt retail items. I don't know what year during the 70's Colt switched to the full checkered grips.

-->I just noticed the cut-outs above the MSH pin - I don't believe Colt ever used a straight angle cut. They also look a bit thick. Hope this helps.

Funnel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts