Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct grips for late 1960\'s comm. gov\'t model?

I am about to purchase a Government Model from the late 1960's. It has Pachmayr's on it. I want to replace them with period correct grips (stocks?). Did they typically come with brown plastic ones with the molded Colt logo? Or checkered, non-diamond, walnut ones w/ gold medallions? Please help. Thanks.

Also, where is the best place to pick up the correct ones?

Thanks!

Kevin

·
Registered
600 Posts
Re: Correct grips for late 1960\'s comm. gov\'t model?

Kevin: I think the first poster is correct for a pre-'69 Colt. Around that time Colt shifted to the new barrel bushing design and came out with the BB-marked pistols. Those few BB guns that I have seen, including the one I own, have the checkered walnut grips with the gold medallion. The BB guns were a short run item and then the Series 70 guns came in with the smooth walnut, silver medallion grips. So, I would say that if you have a '60s production pistol that pre-dates the BB series, the safe bet is the plastic grips. HTH

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Correct grips for late 1960\'s comm. gov\'t mode

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. But darn it, I was hoping the walnut would have been standard. They look so much nicer...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: Correct grips for late 1960\'s comm. gov\'t model?

This is a 1951 Govt which have the grips you are looking for

The mag on the top ,I believe is the correct mag.for 1960's Govt models, which I have
The bottom one is for 1950's which I am looking for.
The body is blue and the base is dull

A word of caution on these grips. If off the gun for a while they tend to shrink and the holes do not line up with the bushings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts