Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my serial is 507xx and .380 its a 1908 Type III made in 1921 please tell me what grips its supposed to have because I am looking to buy some of those wooden medallion ones off a member here and I am still waiting on my colt letter. Which would probably more than likely tell me for sure. Anyone have an idea?

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
While not familiar with the 1908 I looked it up in Sapp's "Standard Catalog of Colt Firearms" and it shows a hard rubber panel with "COLT" on the top portion of the panel with "4 scallops" above and below, adjacent to the bottom of the trigger guard and the "Rampant Stallion" towards the bottom of the panel in a circle (centered) with one screw to the rear of the panel towards the backstrap. I sure don't know if that helps any or if my wording is just confusing the visual.

Mtn

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
If I had to guess...I would guess that 1921 would have been the Black Hard Rubber Stocks, and of the last style ( being as several succerssive styles were used in the successive eras for these ).

I am guessing this on the basis of when the Police Positive and other Colt Revolvers transitioned from the Black Hard Rubber Stocks, to the checkered Walnut ones with the Medallion...which would be starting about 1924 if memory serve.

I hope others who are more informed than I am, will step up to the Plate on this quesiton.

I looked on Sam Liskers site and found no info on this matter.

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
The first edition of John Brunner's book "The Colt Pocket Hammerless Automatic Pistols" states on page 17 that the hard rubber grips were standard on the model "M" pistol (1903 .32 ACP and 1908 .380 ACP) until 1924 when checkered walnut grips with medallions became standard. He goes into further detail on the later hard rubber grips by saying that the pony on the grips was larger than previously and the two lance heads are on the pony's body. It's kind of hard to visualize this, but on Sam Lisker's excellent web site, it is shown as the Type 4 grip for Type III pistols with serial numbers between 18000 and 79000. To get to the photos of the grips, select "Colt 1908 Pocket Hammerless .380 ACP" from the search box on the home page, then select "Photos & Information" and then "Grip Types Standard" and the photo of the Type 4 hard rubber grips is the bottom one on the page. There is little about these nifty little pistols that can't be found on Sam's web site; you just have to dig for it a little.

- - -Buckspen

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thanks those are what I need. On Numrich's website they have some grips. I ordered a mag from them once and sent it back because it wasnt a Colt I even asked over the phone to an impatient jerk off.

Grips, Pocket, 3rd Type

Dunno of these are the ones I need.

Heres the picture Buckspen was refering me to.

·
Premium Member
10,002 Posts
The Grips Pictured in your last post are correct for a Colt Hammerless 380 s/n 507xx.
They are identical to the grips on my Colt Hammerless 380 s/n 515xx as well.

Reactions: mentallapse

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did anyone see the link I posted for the 3rd type grips should I buy those or are those reproductions?

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
I saw the link, and the grips look correct from the photo, BUT I would not bet on getting the grips shown. And, I can't tell from the photo if they are original or reproductions. I don't like dealing with Numrich/GunParts on this kind of stuff. Generally, it gets sent back because it ain't what is was supposed to be. My advice is to look elsewhere.

- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am my friend has the plastic grips I need and he don't wanna sell nor trade but I am looking to buy some original colt grips off a guy out here in Missouri maybe my friend would be willing to trade for his if I get these.

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
1,851 Posts
I looked on Sam Liskers site and found no info on this matter.
[/QUOTE]

The information on the proper grip is clearly stated on Sam's website. Click on the link to Sam's website in the blue section below.

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
1,851 Posts
Updated info: Don Furr is now in Alabama and can be reached at 714-290-6004 or email at [email protected].
I like this update on Don Fur by Don Furr. Don is a great guy to do business with. I know from personal experience. He was referred to me by another forum member.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts