Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here - glad to be a member.
I found what looks like a decent Police Positive Special First Issue (95%) at a decent price. It has checkered wood medallion grips. The Blue Book says that 1st Issue guns have hard rubber grips, and that 2nd issue have smooth grips early, then checkered.
The SN is 340138, making it very late 1st issue, likely 1928. (I know, they supposedly ended 1st issue in 1927).
Any comments?
This would be only my second Colt DA revolver, after a U.S. Army M1917.
JT

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the response and the information -good advice for a novice. After learning the difference between the PPS and OP in another post, and considering the size of my hands, I think I'll go with an Army Special or OP, since I like to shoot the guns in my collection.
And I misspoke - I also own an Army M1901, which I plan to sell.
JT

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
1927, '28, and '29 was a transition era at Colt.
Along about then Colt was making changes like introducing new guns like the Detective Special, and changing the name of the Army Special to the Official Police.

It was also along then that Colt was discontinuing the hard rubber "Gutta Percha" grips and going to walnut.

After so long, and who knows how many hands it's passed through, who knows what changes might have been made to your PPS.

The only suggestion I'd have, is to check the inside of the grips for a serial number or assembly number that matches the gun.

In those days, the grips were fitted to each gun and had a number on the back to insure the grips stayed with the gun during finishing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts