Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to determine what the correct manual looks like for a early to mid 60's Python and for a late 60's to early 70's Python. The later box was two piece but has the cardboard "formed" shape that the gun sat in, and the earlier one just had an open box bottom half without the "formed" part.

Can anyone post a picture or description of what they know to be the correct owners manual so I can begin searching for one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't think the early Python would have ever came with a manual. The same goes for the early Troopers and OMM's. I have 60's examples of all those models with original boxes,targets,tool,etc ...no manual and haven't ever seen one.
The box with the red interior could have possibly used the small gold colored book type manual if your gun was made in the early 70's. I think they started using that style box around 1964-65. I don't know exactly when the first manuals were printed,it's possible that even your newest one never came with one.
Both vintages would have been shipped with a warranty card,"handing the handgun" brochure,test target and flat screwdriver.

Maybe a real Colt expert can add to this.

------------------
Jeff

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
I think (Note the qualifier) that Colt didn't start putting model-specific manuals in with revolvers until sometime in the later 70's.

This was in response to the rise of the hired-gun product liability lawyer.

You'll note that most of the manuals are long lists of instructions like:

"Don't put the gun in your mouth and pull the trigger".

"If you load the little bullet thingies into the little round hole and pull the trigger it'll go BANG".

Prior to this, the generic "Handling the handgun" was considered sufficient for anybody not a moron or imbecile.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a 1965 Python which I bought NIB in `65. I also have the original cardboard box, which would also fit a 6" model, and the bill of sale. There was no manual enclosed.

By the way, the sales receipt shows $100.00. Do you think I could sell it at a slight profit?

NO, it's not for sale,

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 11-16-2003).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I am biuyig a 1964 made effectively LNIB Python and there is all the papework except no owners manual. It appears there never was and I feel better now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone, especially an original owner such as JCM298A of a 1960's Python, tell me if the guns came wrapped in a plastic bag with the small piece of brown anti-corrosion paper like the 1911's did in the 70's? I would guess the Pythons in the 70's styrafoam boxes were plastic bagged with the paper.

·
Registered
265 Posts
230grfmj,

I just checked the box, which has been hidden away since Nov.`65. There was neither paper nor plastic and I don't remember that there ever was. I have the bill of sale and the target.

The target showed 5 rounds in the X ring and was tested by a Mr. Engelhardt on 6-14-65.

I'll describe the box so that you'll know what to look for if you want one. The exterior is brown with the word Colt, in gold lettering on the top. At one end is a label that describes the gun as a blue Python and the number 25, along with .357.
The box was designed to hold a 4" or 6" barrel.

The interior consists of a cut out for the frame. The bottom is red and the top level of the area which surrounds the barrel slot is black.

I have a digital camera but I don't know how to post photos & can't figure out how.
Send me an e-mail and I e-mail you some photos.

By the way, I bought a 4" Python in Brownsville, TX, in Sept. `61. I don't recall how it was packaged but it was the best Python I've ever handled,

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 1963 Python has a piece of unmarked oil paper in it as well as the usual stuff. It's the 2 piece woodgrain box with smooth dark green interior,yellow end label,and the serial number hand written on the bottom. I'm pretty sure 1964 was the year they changed to the woodgrain box with red "cut out" interior. Don't believe Colt started wrapping guns in plastic until the styrofoam insert style boxes came into use.

------------------
Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys,

I just got the Python today I bought from a guy back east. It is serial number 35XXX made in 1964. The box is the one with the green colored interior and wood grain covering as Barrocky described. Serial number written on the bottom with what looks like a magic marker instead of the grease pencil used on 1911 boxes. It has the unfilled out three piece warranty card and one of the three pieces would have be sent to the NRA for a complimentary issue of the AR magazine, the "Handling the Handgun" brochure and the test target serial numbered to the gun.

Interesting though this target is not dated?? Did they start that later or forget here?? The box is the type without the inserts to where the gun would sit in a particulat sppot. It has the old wax type wrapping paper with it that appears to be original. I'm a happy guy today.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It sounds like you found a nice gun and that everything is as it should be. Mine is #28XXX, the target is not dated and the serial number is written with a black marker on the box bottom. The "Handling the Handgun" brochure is in it's own small envelope.
I have test targets that ARE dated but they're from the later 1960's.

------------------
Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts