Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice Weaver flat ground screwdriver set with 38 bits.
Usually it has the correct bit for my guns. But I note that none of the Weaver bits fit my SAA NF correctly.
Is there a numbering system for bits or does anyone know the correct sizes for the Colt SAA?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Hi Jim,

I frankly despise the changeable tip screwdrivers although I carry them with me for emergencies. The best darn set I've found is from Cylinder and Slide. A set of 3 wood handled screwdrivers, perfectly sized Colt single action screw heads, and very reasonably priced.

I give all my screwdrivers a hollow grind. Flat ground tips do not fit screw heads, screw slots have parallel sides, not slanted. A flat ground tip only facilitates 'camming' the tip right out of the screw slot under high torque and that's the last thing you want!

Hope that helps,
Jim

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
I think both sets originate with Brownell's from stock - then, they're given a 'brand' on the wooden handle.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the advice and dfariswheel for the specific bit numbers.
I just ordered a dozen bits and a nice storage box for my bits. Should be able to handle my SAA, Python, Gold Cup, as well as my Rugers.
Now looking at my invoice I see that my fat fingers somehow ordered two of bit 120-4.......oh well spares.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Chamfer / knock the corners off the bits with a file and de-burr before using. The screw holes will thank you!

Another tip: A folded piece of tshirt placed between the screwdriver / bit and the back of the trigger guard and top of the back strap is good insurance against rubbing the bluing when removing those 4 screws.

And one more: Take a card, punch holes and label for each screw location and push the screws into the holes when they are out of the gun to avoid losing them and ensure that they are installed back in the same locations.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
....The best darn set I've found is from Cylinder and Slide. A set of 3 wood handled screwdrivers, perfectly sized Colt single action screw heads, and very reasonably priced....
Ditto and couldn't agree more. This set of 3 is all you need for any SAA.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Many gun screws have slots with a slight curve at the bottom, for example Colt Models 1911 and 1926 grip screws. I put a slight matching curve on the tips of my screwdrivers for maximum depth and slot fit.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chamfer / knock the corners off the bits with a file and de-burr before using. The screw holes will thank you!

Another tip: A folded piece of tshirt placed between the screwdriver / bit and the back of the trigger guard and top of the back strap is good insurance against rubbing the bluing when removing those 4 screws.

And one more: Take a card, punch holes and label for each screw location and push the screws into the holes when they are out of the gun to avoid losing them and ensure that they are installed back in the same locations.
All good tips! Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts