Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on the Forum here use this kind of anti-corrosion paper toprotect their firearms. Was given a small sheet by a fairly serious Colt Collector here in the Pacific NW (damp Seattle area) who said all his Colts are wrapped in it while in the safe. Circumstances are such that my safe is in the basement where it is dry but there is no heat. I have a dehumidifier and a heat rod in the safe, but still worry some.
Any advice and/or comments reference this product yea or nay. Would hate to find out it protects against rust and corrosion A-OK...but'll remove all the finish.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I use corosion paper in my safe. It does not have a brand name on it but it must be similar with yours. So far no rust , been a few years now.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Notice the reference to "volatile." That means that the protection comes from a vapor given off by the paper, and means the paper will cease to protect after a while. How long will that be? Who knows?

I suggest Ezzox once a year or so as a better and more economical solution.

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
I use it. Good stuff. Brownells sells it in sheets or rolls as "Gun Wrap Paper." Any gun I store for over a few months gets wrapped in it. Brownells warns against using in direct contact with Nickel finishs. I put Nickel gun in a clean thick sweat sock and then wrap in Gun Wrap Paper. I also use a dessicant pack and rust block chips if storing in a sealed gun storage bag for an extended period of time.

Good luck.

www.brownells.com

·
Registered
991 Posts
Are you monitoring the humidity level in your safe? Mine is also in the basement where it is cool, but not terribly humid. I was using a golden rod with desiccant cans. Found the golden rod works fine in my environment by itself. Steady humidity at 45 and temp at 70 deg. I also recommend Eezox. And my guns are all in Bore Stores for physical protection.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wipe my guns with a silicone cloth and spray with RIG 2 oil, spread evenly everywhere, and let air dry. The piece is then wrapped in vapor paper, put in a hard case (egg crate foam presses the paper snugly around the gun), and stacked in a safe with a golden rod. Been working well for 20+ years with periodic retreatment. RIG grease is used on internal areas and moving parts.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you's

Many thanks for all who took the time to reply with opinions and suggestions. I feel confident in the papers use now (keeping it away from the nickel). All are currently wiped down well with CLP, wrapped in the VCI paper and stored individually in Doskill hard plastic pistol cases (cases take up more room in the safe than I like but got 65 of them used for 25 bucks so can't see spending $$'s for something abit more compact).
And for just info. I ordered a roll of this paper 12" by 200 yards for $37 plus shipping from the ULine company. Though I have to cut a piece off the roll when I need it, pretty darn economical this way and it comes packaged in a box you can just cut a slit in and easily pull out just what you need. Stays nicely rolled within.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts

Aint nothin' like our good ol' "how we diaper our babies" threads:) I have tried the Rigg Universal grease on a couple of blued guns with hard rubber black grips. Rigg is a no-no for nickel and probably not good for wood, ivory etc. Once I tried that Rennaisance wax though, I really like that. I don't know how well it protects from moisture, but you can't see its on there once it's applied and wiped off. And once the gun is treated, it won't even fingerprint... so it has to barrier from moisture in some way. Its safe for ivory, nickel, and easy on and right back off... plus the gun looks outstanding once wiped down with it. .. so yes , I now wax my guns. I gotta get those bore stores, but old tube socks work pretty good in the mean time. Someone told me too that its worked for the British on all their stuff for a long long time now, so its tried and true. safe for about anything. The smallest container of "Renn wax" will work unless you are waxing your truck too. .. but if you do , it will look good I bet and maybe only rust underneath:p

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, everyone keeps noting Renaissance Wax in different threads around the Forum. I'll quit putting it off and give it a try, just ordered a container of it from Amazon.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I use Militec-1 dry impregnated lube and rennisance wax on all my guns and put each one in a silicone impregnated gun sock in my safe which has dessicant.Works very well for me in New York.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Once I tried that Rennaisance wax though, I really like that. I don't know how well it protects from moisture
Rennaisance Wax works great for humidity protection. Remember, it's used by the Smithsonian and other museums to preserve priceless artifacts. For my safe queens, I use it on the entire pistol including bores and chambers, applying with a patch and polishing with bore mops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts