Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate some opinions on this 1920s Colt SAA with 2-piece wood grips. Does the fit of the wood to the metal look right and I wonder if the bottoms of the grips should be beveled as they were on earlier SAA revolvers? Do they look legit? Thanks for any opinions.

Revolver Trigger Metal

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
When Wood shrinks...it shrinks perpendicular to the long axis of the Grain.

So, the gap at the 'top' would be inconsistent with shrinkage of the Stocks...or, would be consistent with a poor fitting to begin with.

Grip Frame 'reveal' on the front mid and lower Grip Strap, would be consistent with Stock Shrinkage, being as the Wood has no option but to shrink toward the Screw which is restraining it in this instance.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I believe the only wooden grips available from Colt for 1st gen SAA's were "one piece", I don't think those are original Colt grips.

Reactions: hwjhfs

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don't believe that wood grips were available as an option in the 20's.I've been wrong before.I believe it was in 1983.
I thought I read "In the Study" that medallions were first introduced around 1909 for the SAA's. These would have been for wood stocks right, or just ivory or MOP? So wouldn't plain wood two piece stocks be available then too?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I thought I read "In the Study" that medallions were first introduced around 1909 for the SAA's. These would have been for wood stocks right, or just ivory or MOP? So wouldn't plain wood two piece stocks be available then too?
I stand corrected, on special order you could get two piece wood grips checkered in "fleur de Lis" pattern or just checkered, with or without medallions. I suppose it would be possible to special order plain two piece wood grips, but I've never seen any.

Reactions: hwjhfs

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
I've seen a 1898 production single action that lettered with 1 piece walnuts and in the teens and twenties and thirties you will see the "fleur de Lis" type of 2 piece walnuts with either deepset or flush medallions. Seems like the factory letters I've seen just list them as "wood" stocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts