Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and thanks for adding me! Colts are a new love for me and trying to learn as much as I can. Just picked up this nice looking pistol and need help identifying it. I cant tell if this is the stainless steel or possible "ultimate" bright stainless model. A book I have said the "ultimate" finish was used on .38 supers and .45's. But this thing is super shiny almost like chrome. Also are the white grips standard? Thanks for any help! Also i couldn't get info on the serial number on colts website RC51XXX

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking in BBofGV and don't see any government MKIV series .380 listed only .38 super, .40 or .45 's What are these worth? So pretty I don't want to shoot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to coltfever.com Doesn't say anything about Government models or IV model Show info for mark III and mark V. In the BBOGV do I look up "government model 80 Mark IV or something else?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Colt380.jpg
I don't know why this picture is so small. It was much bigger the last time I posted it, (on another forum.)

Anyway, I bought this one earlier this year with the black plastic grips you see here.
I have since replaced them with white plastic grips like yours that are supposed to be from Colt, simply because I think they look better.
My serial # is RS25XXX and I believe my finish is stainless steel. Is it possible that yours is chromed?
Is it possible that the second letter in the serial # indicates the type of finish?

Mine is a joy to shoot, and someone very kindly put some minor scratches on it so that I wouldn't have to worry about that. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[QWhat do you value yours at?
UOTE=bumbazine;842055] View attachment 104448
I don't know why this picture is so small. It was much bigger the last time I posted it, (on another forum.)

Anyway, I bought this one earlier this year with the black plastic grips you see here.
I have since replaced them with white plastic grips like yours that are supposed to be from Colt, simply because I think they look better.
My serial # is RS25XXX and I believe my finish is stainless steel. Is it possible that yours is chromed?
Is it possible that the second letter in the serial # indicates the type of finish?

Mine is a joy to shoot, and someone very kindly put some minor scratches on it so that I wouldn't have to worry about that. :cool:[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
9,564 Posts
I am looking in BBofGV and don't see any government MKIV series .380 listed only .38 super, .40 or .45 's What are these worth? So pretty I don't want to shoot.
The "Blue Book" is notoriously inaccurate in descriptions, nomenclature and pricing.

However, for what it is worth, your pistol is listed on Page 549 of the 35th Edition. In that edition, the .380 Post-War pistols follow the Delta Gold Cup, and precede the USMC M45 listings. It appears that the nickel pistols are the highest-priced - by a whole whopping $25! The price of a 100% gun is $775. The stainless pistols are valued the lowest at $700 for a 100% example.

·
Registered
28 Posts
[QWhat do you value yours at?
I paid $500.00 for it and have since installed a full length stainless steel guide rod and an ambidextrous safety, plus changed grips, so I have about $675.00 in it.
I sure wouldn't sell it for anywhere near that though. I might be tempted by a thousand, but then again, maybe not.
I really like this pistol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts