Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
The 'instructor' may be thought of as having erred, in either not clearing all weapons in advance, or, in addition, for allowing charged Magazines or Ammunition to be present and accessible to the Students, in his absense of 'leaving the room'.

Applicants for such a 'class' should be respected as being new, naive, unfamiliar, foolish, impetuous, or liable to mis-advanture if not closely, and constructively supervised.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Ouch !!!

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
IMHO the instructor erred. Having taken a few NRA classes our instructor(s) had a "no personal weapon in classroom" policy. His weapon was cleared and holstered at all times during basic safety instruction and when he did unholster his weapon it was pointed away from the class, checked and cleared prior to turning around. We were allowed to retrieve our weapons from vehicles for the range only after he personally checked and cleared each weapon. At the range no ammunition was distributed until we were on the firing line. Safety first and foremost.

·
Registered
65 Posts
+1 Mtn Spur

My Wife and I just finished NRA Basic Pistol this past Sunday. No Ammo allowed in the classroom! Snap Caps took the place for instruction. The ONLY time the instructors or the class was allowed to touch the real deal was one the firing line. No Exceptions.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The concealed class I had we left the ammo outside the class. The insturctor stood at the door and we had to show the instructor that the pistols were empty. When we went to shoot we placed the ammo on the table but could not load until told to. If anyones gun did not fire they had to lay down the pistol and wait until the instructor came over to check things out. We could not reload until we was given the go ahead. We should all remember, even if you are the only one around safety first, live long and prosper. We do not get a do over no mater what we thought.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
My wife is taking a CCW class in couple of weeks. I took it many many years ago and gave no thought her safety in the classroom.. no instructor allows loaded weapons inside the building... I thought it was universal law. many people go to take that class that may not have handled a weapon before or maybe once. ( I know.. kind of "cart before the horse" ain't it.) who would want them bringing a loaded weapon. I haven't heard the circumstances on that wife/husband shooting. It could be the husband went and broke all the rules while the instructor went to the bathroom. maybe not. I know in our area there are so many people taking CCW classes that sooner or later something stupid is gonna happen. here you take the class then the SBI background check through the county sheriffs office. maybe they need to do the background check first ! They do a very thorough mental health background check with all the mental hospitals. .. I know. .. I know.. I have never been um... "enrolled" in any to date.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I am a NRA Instructor and we have NY State Law which doesn't allow a "non licensed person" from touching any "real" handgun.That being the case the students cannot come into contact with non replica handguns.It becomes a true NRA Course when the person comes back with thier license and handgun and I conduct the "live fire" portion of the NRA Course and issue the NRA certificate.In this case the blame should be placed soley on the Instructor of the course.No Personal guns or live ammo should have been present and the Instructor shouldn't have left allowing this to happen.JMHO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts