Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired my first Python. My son told a few of his high school buddies about it and they told him that was way cool. Since most of his friends play a video game, I think it's Call of Duty, and the Python is one of the available weapons in the game I was wondering if the video game has somehow driven up the demand? I don't think his friends are really "gun guys" and I'm sure they wouldn't know what a model 27, trooper or security six are, but because the Python is cool looking and a cool sounding name I thought there might be a connection. There is a huge following of the game in all age groups worldwide so it might not be such a stretch but then again maybe I'm nuts.

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
They might be "iconic" to the pop culture, but I don't know too many "kids", that can drop $1500 on something that's cool.
I'm also curious why a gun that was worth $300 when I was in high school, is now worth more than 5 time's as much?
Even my old Harley's don't command that kind of return.
Jim

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
PD,first off welcome to the forum.You might be on to something.I have a nephew that is a Call of duty nut and when I told him I had recently purchased a Colt Python right away he wanted to see it.I got it out of the safe and his response was "way cool dude I gotta have one of them". When I told him what he would have to pay for it he changed his mind.:)D*

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
My son also plays that video game and he likes my Pythons as well. I may be off base with my thoughts here, but I think that maybe when people are looking at and eventually purchasing a Colt Python, or any other quality firearm that no longer is in production. You realize that sometimes modern advancement is not all it is cracked up to be. When you are holding in your hand a firearm that is 30-40 + yeas old and see how well made it is, how back then there was so much pride in workmanship. People start to realize that we will never see that kind of final product again. This makes the desire to have a piece of history if you will very strong, and I think drives up the price. The same principal with antiques, how can a table bought at a garage sale for a few bucks be worth thousands to a collector? The collector knows he will never see another one made again, so when a good specimen is for sale you pay what you have to, if you want to own that piece of history. JMHO. Peace.

Blade

·
Registered
242 Posts
You can order a Belgian Browning Superposed still today.The price starts at $16,000.00 for a plain jane grade 1.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Just look at what happened with the S&W model 29 44 magnum after Clint Eastwood used it in his movies. The demand skyrocketed Everyone wanted one-just because of a movie- Now if that had been an Anaconda sales might have taken off even more.
So it seems TV,movies,and probably internet games and whatever other foolish entertainment can be a fantastic marketing tool -i guess thats why company spend millions on commercials-even though I find most of them unimaginative,annoying and boring -they must be working.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't follow COD since my 17 year-old son doesn't play that one, but had considered the upswing in popularity could be caused by the huge success of the AMC series "Walking Dead" which started last year. Zombies seem to be all the rage these days, and the lead character/hero (Deputy Rick Grimes) carries a 6" stainless Python.

·
Registered
41 Posts
They might be "iconic" to the pop culture, but I don't know too many "kids", that can drop $1500 on something that's cool.
I'm also curious why a gun that was worth $300 when I was in high school, is now worth more than 5 time's as much?
Even my old Harley's don't command that kind of return.
Jim
If you went to high school in 1964, the silver dime you had in your pocket would be worth two dollars today. Three hundred dollars in pre-1965 US coins would fetch you $6000.

·
Banned
31 Posts
If you went to high school in 1964, the silver dime you had in your pocket would be worth two dollars today. Three hundred dollars in pre-1965 US coins would fetch you $6000.
Touche' !

Demand for firearms in general is at an all time high , and the Python is top of the line and the majority want the best .....

I have to completely disagree with video/computer games having ANY effect on demand ; the average kid playing these games is playing them 24/7 -

they know squat about the real world, have no social skills , and will never be able to get any kind of job (unless it involves muscle bound thumbs) ,

much less be able to EVER afford a Python .

The worldwide epidemic of electronic game playing will be the downfall of mankind - and I sure as hell don't want it somehow to be linked to the value of my beloved Pythons

·
Registered
746 Posts
There was a guy in a gun club I used to belong to, he had a Python and used to shoot at 100 yards with it, and shoot well!
I don't know about $1500, but it's gotta be worth pretty close to that if they all shoot that well.
O'course this one of those guys who could also punch the X-ring at the same distance with a smoothbore (not one of these new-fangled rifled-barrel jobs) shotgun. Don'cha just hate those guys?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Touche' !

Demand for firearms in general is at an all time high , and the Python is top of the line and the majority want the best .....

I have to completely disagree with video/computer games having ANY effect on demand ; the average kid playing these games is playing them 24/7 -

they know squat about the real world, have no social skills , and will never be able to get any kind of job (unless it involves muscle bound thumbs) ,

much less be able to EVER afford a Python .

The worldwide epidemic of electronic game playing will be the downfall of mankind - and I sure as hell don't want it somehow to be linked to the value of my beloved Pythons
You'd be surprised who is actually in to video games, their intellect, and how much disposable cash they have at hand.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I really don't think Python prices are that out of line to begin with. Priced a new Smith recently? A 629 or 627 is about $1000, but comparing a new Smith to an old(er) Colt is apples to oranges; even when comparing a new Smith to an older Smith it's apparent the new ones with their MIM parts, locks, and canted barrels are not of the same caliber as their older brothers. Also, take into consideration that a decent 1911 will run you 1200-3000 these days (Dan Wesson, STI, Wilson, Nighthawk). All of a sudden, a $2000 hand fitted high-quality Colt Python does not look so bad.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One of the reasons for the Pythons recent popularity climbs is the TV show "The Walking Dead", where the main charecter is Rick Grimes, and he carrys a 6" Python nickel plated, and is mentioned once by his partner in season one. With zombies being all the rage (hence, hornady zombie loads, houge zombie grips, zombie radios to warn of zombie attacks) this show has alerted every one to the main man's gun. This show came out in oct of 2010, when did the python see its price jump? Like the Panman said, I had a 6" nickel python in 1977 when I was 16 and I paid just at $400.00, and the blued one was about $50.00 or so less. I love the gun, and now I have a nickel tooper Mk V I just got. I wanted another python (Sold mine 25 years ago, and just got back into guns about a year ago, been drag racing for 25 years) but when I checked the prices I about craped my pants. I settled for this Mk V but I have herd a lot of people say the gun is crap, and it shoots exactly like my python, it is hard for me to tell a differance even though it has been 25 years.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think one of the major contributing factors for the Python's rise in popularity is the demographics and ages of people with disposable income that desired these guns when they were younger. Just like the vintage Muscle car market; all of us in our age bracket desired certain cars from that muscle car era when they were young….now that they have money in their pockets they are buying up the desirable things of their younger days…. Pythons being one of them. Trends (or should I say fashion) tend to stay on a consistent 25 to 35 year cyclical patterns.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The average "kid" playing videogames is fact an adult in their 20's or 30's. This isn't the 1980's anymore...kids games like Mario and Donkey Kong have been replaced with adult titles like Call of Duty and Battlefield and the average gamer is in fact an adult and its been this way for over a decade if not longer.

I happen to be one of those "kids" who is a Bakery Manager by profession with over a dozen employees. Oh and I'm married, I'm a college graduate and have a child on the way. So spare me the stereotypes about people who play videogames. It's about as accurate as saying all Southern whites are racist hillbillies that can't read or write.

Concerning the value of the Python tied to videogames. It certainly does not hurt. Remember that for years people have been dropping anywhere from $1000-$1500 on a Desert Eagle in large part because of its prominent role in popular videogames.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The average "kid" playing videogames is fact an adult in their 20's or 30's. This isn't the 1980's anymore...kids games like Mario and Donkey Kong have been replaced with adult titles like Call of Duty and Battlefield and the average gamer is in fact an adult and its been this way for over a decade if not longer.

I happen to be one of those "kids" who is a Bakery Manager by profession with over a dozen employees. Oh and I'm married, I'm a college graduate and have a child on the way. So spare me the stereotypes about people who play videogames. It's about as accurate as saying all Southern whites are racist hillbillies that can't read or write.

Concerning the value of the Python tied to videogames. It certainly does not hurt. Remember that for years people have been dropping anywhere from $1000-$1500 on a Desert Eagle in large part because of its prominent role in popular videogames.
+1 ;) Actually the demographics reach far beyond 30 year olds now and move well into the 40 somethings and beyond.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts