Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,916 Posts
Hello. My husband passed away and I was left with this US Govt issued Colt 1911. It’s been kept in a safe for as long as I have known and looking to get some information or a professional appraisal by someone who knows about this type of pistol. View attachment 720955 View attachment 720954
She has a low serial number, if the gun is original you could be looking at 2 to 3K. Love the rear sight btw. Originality is the key, also USP guns are more sought after.

· Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,916 Posts
I have been getting such a wide range of prices. Starting at 500 and as high as 15000. I am overwhelmed
There are numerous markings all over the gun that need to be seen to tell if it's original. I'm not an expert in these particular guns, there are others here with way more knowledge and can direct you to take pics of these areas. Btw, who ever offered you 500 was hoping to strike gold, you've already done your husband and you a great service coming here.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are numerous markings all over the gun that need to be seen to tell if it's original. I'm not an expert in these particular guns, there are others here with way more knowledge and can direct you to take pics of these areas. Btw, who ever offered you 500 was hoping to strike gold, you've already done your husband and you a great service coming here.
Again thank you. I have been told it is original, but my husband did some modifications I guess. Again, I know little to nothing just going off what I have been told. I joined a few Facebook Colt groups and someone recommended this forum.

· Registered
484 Posts
First, I'm sorry for your loss.

As far as your gun goes, it is probably not worth nearly as much to anyone else as it is to you. In my opinion, you would be best served by keeping it in your family if possible. That being said, you've come to the right place. I'm sure many people who are 1911 experts will be along shortly to give you an honest evaluation and a fair market value.

Welcome to the forum!!

· Premium Member
6,575 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us all here. Sorry for your loss. You have came to the right place here as to get the right info you seek.

· Registered
9,002 Posts
This Colt looks like it has King Sights on it. these are a derisible modification to the right person. The question is was any other modification done, Barrel bushing etc.
Unfortunately it is not always easy to evaluate a modified pistol especially one that would be considered a collectable if not modified.

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Very sorry for your loss. Please, do not get into too big of a hurry to sell it. As others have said, it is not in that great of a condition and has been altered, at least being the site, and maybe more non-factory alterations. Even in the poor condition cosmetically that it is, collectors want original, non altered guns. Also, as mentioned previously, do not go to a gunshop or pawn shop to sell it, as they will attempt to take advantage of you. A sale to a private individual who you trust is offering your a fair price is probably the best result. But, I would not sell it. Good luck.

· Registered
14,726 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum and My Condolences on the loss of your Husband.

What the others above have opined is true, it is a US Property marked 1911 made in 1913...in non-collector condition that is easily worth more than $500 but less than $1000 to the right buyer. Most gun stores will offer much less to "take it off your hands"...so, don't be fooled.

Best bet if you're not going to keep it or gift it to a family member would be to put it on a gun auction with a starting bid of say $550 and see what the market will bear as others may want it for parts if nothing else.

Below is the Link to the Gun Auction website...from there you read and follow the rules.

Good Luck and God Bless !!

Click Below:

· Premium Member
1,330 Posts
GunAuction doesn't get the traffic that other sites do, and usually only a few popular sellers like JackTheDog get good money.
A new seller on any site won't get the money that an established seller will, so in this case if selling by auction is the desired path, send it to one of these for commission sale. Or to a trustworthy dealer on consignment. Creating a good listing (pics etc), accurate and thorough description, and managing an online auction is a daunting task and takes a good deal of time and experience - probably not the best option for a one-time seller.
(then again there's always those one-line vague description auctions with two blurry pics that go crazy and defy logic :))

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.