Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A person I have contacted has a revolver that he was told was once owned by Tom Mix. (He is not selling it.) I asked him to send me photos so I could do some research because it sounds like a cool story to write about. Once I saw the photos I showed them to another member on this board and he feels it is a Mexican copy from the 1800s. I wanted to get your impression. I don't see a way to link it to Tom Mix without a time machine. I still think it's a cool gun to write about so I would like to get any more information on Mexican copies that I can. Books, links, articles, I want to read them.
Thanks.
IMG_0187.jpg IMG_0189 (1).jpg IMG_0190.jpg IMG_0204.jpg IMG_0206.jpg

·
Registered
325 Posts
Seems to be a different font for all the numbers, and the cylinder pin should be grooved just below the 'mushroom' head -- just a quick comparison to my 1875 manufactured .45 cal. SAA.

Also, the heel of the grip frame looks like it bends up on the forward side, this should end flush on that forward end.

pix054043708[1].jpg pix237718123[1].jpg pix418042589[1].jpg pix323018178[1].jpg

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The Horse Solider here in Gettysburg has a Mexican Copy of the SAA for sale the last time I was in there. You could contact them to see if they have any info on them.

·
Premium Member
18,986 Posts
There is a lot of wear on that old gun and whoever did the engraving sure buffed it pretty hard! It is hard to tel if it is a Colt.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any place I can look that would verify if this is a real Colt or Spanish copy? I assume under the grips would have something. It seems odd to me that the loading gate number is so clear yet it not have a real serial number.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Is there any barrel address? If so, it may be in Spanish or in poor English. I have seen several Spanish or Mexican copies of the Colt SAA, including a 2/3 scaled down 38. Most of these copies have a trigger guard like on a Remington M1875, but there is at least one that would look like yours. I don't recall seeing an engraved copy, and those metal grips are unusual.

Both ends of the ejector housing have been shortened.

Those "32" numbers on the gate don't look like Colt. See attached for number comparison, although this gate is on a 1907 Colt SAA.

One initial impression was that someone filed the serial number, so the "4711" was engraved to make it "legal".

Attachments

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
One initial impression was that someone filed the serial number, so the "4711" was engraved to make it "legal".
I suppose it's possible that someone filed/buffed the serial number off to clean it up then reapplied the same number.
Maybe worth a call to Colt?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts