Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Counterfeit "NIB" Python Hall Of Fame Induction - Python Target For The Ages

I must admit that this one bothers me. I happen to have an originally owned, NIB, nickel Python Target, with Provenance that I feel fortunate to have acquired. These Pythons, in original packaging, don't come around every day, unless of course there is someone that dilutes the market with bogus original Pythons like the one here. This one will sell for more than $4500, and the lucky seller will have pocketed about $2500 because he enjoys a 100% Feedback Score and has found a naive buyer that believes he is acquiring a Like-New-In-Box, Nickel Python Target. This is the seller's "game" and he plays it better than most. Flowery, expansive baloney that must be read for a good laugh. Yet, the mark has been found. I don't particularly care that some uninformed, lazy bidder will end up with a Python and a poke for $4500. It bothers me that for some short period of time, the buyer will believe he owns a LNIB Colt. They just aren't that easy to come by.

By the way, there is nothing original in the auction except the Python.

Colt Python Target Nickel 38 Spcl 8? w BoxPaper*NR : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I must admit that this one bothers me. I happen to have an originally owned, NIB, nickel Python Target, with Provenance that I feel fortunate to have acquired. These Pythons, in original packaging, don't come around every day, unless of course there is someone that dilutes the market with bogus original Pythons like the one here. This one will sell for more than $4500, and the lucky seller will have pocketed about $2500 because he enjoys a 100% Feedback Score and has found a naive buyer that believes he is acquiring a Like-New-In-Box, Nickel Python Target. This is the seller's "game" and he plays it better than most. Flowery, expansive baloney that must be read for a good laugh. Yet, the mark has been found. I don't particularly care that some uninformed, lazy bidder will end up with a Python and a poke for $4500. It bothers me that for some short period of time, the buyer will believe he owns a LNIB Colt. They just aren't that easy to come by.By the way, there is nothing original in the auction except the Python.

That is a very pretty 1980 Chinese box he's got there though,it's been well preserved LOL

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts
They're in my own back yard and it's EMBARASSING...

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I contacted him to let him know the box was not original. He asked me how I knew. I patiently explained it via an email. He then told me he would edit the auction since he could not actually change it since it had a bid on it. I have yet to see an edit to the description text.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Yes that is sad. Buyers are probably saying his label is original and yours is fake since they aren't used to seeing that style lol. Problem is his label is a HORRIBLE Fake, and yours is 100% legit. Your package is worth double what this one is, and yet his is selling but yours is sitting.:bang_wall:
Its sad what the fakers have done to the Python market. I would not be afraid to say there are now more fake "NIB" Pythons out there in the world than true NIB ones, and that is mind boggling considering how many total Pythons were made and most buyers took really good care of them.

Reactions: chaosrob

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I contacted him to let him know the box was not original. He asked me how I knew. I patiently explained it via an email. He then told me he would edit the auction since he could not actually change it since it had a bid on it. I have yet to see an edit to the description text.
I wouldn't hold your breath on an amended description since the rest of the paper goods are also fake. Gee, wonder where he picked all that up? Any guesses? Anyone?.....:rolleyes: That one person's wares are permeating the industry and he got the gall to say his junk is factory Colt :mad: THAT'S what fires up my THIEF-O-METER.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
If you also compare Keystones gun to Fake Box guy I'm thinking the gun may also be refinished. Compare the Rampant colt stamping, The fake guys looks polished out, Also his pics are all from far enough away not to show any detail. Look at how nice and clear Keystones pics are, You know exactly what your bidding on.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Unlike the original poster, I feel sorry for anyone who loses money. It seems like almost an inside joke to some posters who post that this box or hang tags are bogus, and a few people snicker in agreement, but I don't think I have seen a post that shows a side by side comparison to us uniformed collectors or buyers that shows exactly what the differences are. Instead of ridiculing people why don't you help?
We can't all be experts, we all have to learn, unless some of you were born with all the knowledge that any collector of Colt firearms would ever need to possess, then in that case I apologize.
A recent post was about a Python with the cylinder flutes, I think, a matte blue while the rest of the gun was polished normally. The poster also stated that the cylinder had the whole, or partial, serial number on it. Right away the attacks started with one saying that Colt NEVER put the serial number on DA revolver cylinders. Well then of course another poster show a pic of his Python with the numbers on the cylinder. So I guess he had a bogus gun also? After all the expert masses had spoken and his gun never existed.
I have been a very amateur collector for over forty years, and have NEVER stopped learning. I don't think that I ever will, but then that could just be me.
Most of my collecting has been Smith and Wesson and a few Colts thrown in because there are certain models that appeal to me. On a Smith and Wesson forum there are the same experts, the "I know something you don't" that pop up every once in awhile, but I can honestly say not as often as here. One post that really stood out was someone claiming there was a fixed sight Model 29 manufactured. A bunch of posters jumped on the "never was one made" wagon stating that only the stainless 629 was made. Low and behold, a high level collector posted a pic of one in his collection, FACTORY LETTERED. So once again, something that a lot of posters KNEW never existed showed up. Also the one post about a single letter and single digit serial number N frame. Again no such animal....well, do a search on a Model 29 serial number N3.
Don't want to get flamed here, but instead of berating someone for their lack of knowledge, why don't you do your best to help them, unless of course, that is beneath your station as a collector. That ends my rant for the day, and I sincerely hope that the purchaser of the Python eventually gets it worked out. I for one don't take satisfaction or get glee out of someone getting screwed over, but then again, that is me.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Rigby,
I can agree with you to a point, but we all bear the responsibility of our purchases at the end of the day. When you are dropping that kind of coin you should do your own research and you own the result of your decision to hit the bid button. If you do not do the research and hit the bid button you are making a decision that can be good or bad. I have made some bad purchases, and I have made some good ones, but I am responsible for every one of them. I made one not long ago that I knew better and did it anyway, should the seller have been honest, yes, but I made the decision to go forward with the purchase even though my gut told me I was wrong. In this day and age most all the information is out there for us to download if we want to take our time and put some effort into it, unfortunately greed and human impatience often takes over and we do not want to do the research on a 4k+ transaction. It is not only the sellers who use shady tactics, I have often seen buyers pull the same thing on sellers who come to them for advise on value only to sell to the appraiser for a fraction of the real value. Humans by and large are nasty creatures who will take advantage of others for personal gain and the person complaining today of having it happen to them will use it as an excuse tomorrow to do it to another.
Unlike the original poster, I feel sorry for anyone who loses money. It seems like almost an inside joke to some posters who post that this box or hang tags are bogus, and a few people snicker in agreement, but I don't think I have seen a post that shows a side by side comparison to us uniformed collectors or buyers that shows exactly what the differences are. Instead of ridiculing people why don't you help?
We can't all be experts, we all have to learn, unless some of you were born with all the knowledge that any collector of Colt firearms would ever need to possess, then in that case I apologize.
A recent post was about a Python with the cylinder flutes, I think, a matte blue while the rest of the gun was polished normally. The poster also stated that the cylinder had the whole, or partial, serial number on it. Right away the attacks started with one saying that Colt NEVER put the serial number on DA revolver cylinders. Well then of course another poster show a pic of his Python with the numbers on the cylinder. So I guess he had a bogus gun also? After all the expert masses had spoken and his gun never existed.
I have been a very amateur collector for over forty years, and have NEVER stopped learning. I don't think that I ever will, but then that could just be me.
Most of my collecting has been Smith and Wesson and a few Colts thrown in because there are certain models that appeal to me. On a Smith and Wesson forum there are the same experts, the "I know something you don't" that pop up every once in awhile, but I can honestly say not as often as here. One post that really stood out was someone claiming there was a fixed sight Model 29 manufactured. A bunch of posters jumped on the "never was one made" wagon stating that only the stainless 629 was made. Low and behold, a high level collector posted a pic of one in his collection, FACTORY LETTERED. So once again, something that a lot of posters KNEW never existed showed up. Also the one post about a single letter and single digit serial number N frame. Again no such animal....well, do a search on a Model 29 serial number N3.
Don't want to get flamed here, but instead of berating someone for their lack of knowledge, why don't you do your best to help them, unless of course, that is beneath your station as a collector. That ends my rant for the day, and I sincerely hope that the purchaser of the Python eventually gets it worked out. I for one don't take satisfaction or get glee out of someone getting screwed over, but then again, that is me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
+1

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I was looking at one of his auctions lately but was unaware of his reputation. Thanks.
Am I the only one that read this and thought that weagle99 didn't get that prostrok was kidding about Keystone's reputation....be careful guys...not everyone gets the joke sometimes.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I have always received a prompt and educational response to any question that I have asked the original poster.At no time has he responded "it's for me to know and you to find out". He is not a mind reader.D*

1 - 20 of 36 Posts