Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I just learned a new free site to post pictures. postimages.org
Top with wood grips is .45 Colt, bottom is .44 special.

That is the site I have been using. Easy to keep your guns organized and easy to post multiple pics at once. Also those are two nice looking Colts you have there.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. The 45 I bought used as new. Think it is late 80`s or so. The lower .44 special I bought new in 1984. The 45 I sent back to colt with the complaint that I thought the cylinder was overbored. I shot it along side a smith I have in a 25-5 (45 colt) with the same ammo. They dropped right out of the smith but had to pound them out of the colt and the cases were swelled. Colt sent me back the gun with a new cylinder WITH the removable bushing, NUMBERED to the gun! AND didnt charge me anything! Now I still have two cylinders with the same serial number. As you can see, both have been safe queens but I am getting old and think I will start shooting them more. I doubt there has been two boxs of ammo through each. I have other guns in the same calibers so they have just been in the safe forever. I have another 7 1/2" converted to .44 special too that started life as a .44 wcf made in 1906 and sent to the copper queen mine. Tommy Bish (old gun writer) Al Capone of King Gun Works redone it probably in the late 1950`s or early 60`s. I dont have a picture of it other than photobucket which it wont let me post. Sooo here is a couple of runner up smiths I own. A 1950 target and a Triplelock that had been sent back to the factory in 1949 and target sights added. They are both .44 special.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indulge me! That worked so well here is a couple of other gun pictures. I am practicing this new postimage.org

Well, that worked guys. I now highly recommend postimage.org Check it out!

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Thanks guys. The 45 I bought used as new. Think it is late 80`s or so. The lower .44 special I bought new in 1984. The 45 I sent back to colt with the complaint that I thought the cylinder was overbored. I shot it along side a smith I have in a 25-5 (45 colt) with the same ammo. They dropped right out of the smith but had to pound them out of the colt and the cases were swelled. Colt sent me back the gun with a new cylinder WITH the removable bushing, NUMBERED to the gun! AND didnt charge me anything! Now I still have two cylinders with the same serial number. As you can see, both have been safe queens but I am getting old and think I will start shooting them more. I doubt there has been two boxs of ammo through each. I have other guns in the same calibers so they have just been in the safe forever. I have another 7 1/2" converted to .44 special too that started life as a .44 wcf made in 1906 and sent to the copper queen mine. Tommy Bish (old gun writer) Al Capone of King Gun Works redone it probably in the late 1950`s or early 60`s. I dont have a picture of it other than photobucket which it wont let me post. Sooo here is a couple of runner up smiths I own. A 1950 target and a Triplelock that had been sent back to the factory in 1949 and target sights added. They are both .44 special.

Excellent 1950 Target. Always wanted one, and have an NOS 6 1/2" barrel and Clymer reamers to convert a Model 27 over, but never got the 27 either! Some guys have all the luck!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Un that's Merril Werch. I bought that model 27-2 new about 1970. It was plain and had no add on`s. I immediately sent it to the company and had them add a wide target hammer and trigger, red post front sight, WO rear sight and the presentation grips.
I also had them engrave my name in the gold oval. Think the engraving was $66 back then. I just had a great grandson born a month ago. Will see him next month for the first time. I hope to pass it on to him. Should have bought him a knife. Granddaughter named him "Carver". I usually used that gun to do my yearly qualifications for my guard job. We had company guns that we passed off every shift change. I knew this one was sighted in for me. I retired after 35 years in 2,000 and don't recall shooting this one since I retired! Have others though. Thanks!
By the way, the other 5" is a model 29-2 44 mag. Rare in 5". I am a cheapskate. They use the same holster!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I believe that 1950 target was 1953 or 1955. Have a letter for it somewhere. The Triplelock pictured with it was 1909! Have a letter for it too. It was sent back to the company in 1949 and target sights were added. I have owned both for about 45 years.
Years ago I took about four .44 specials and that .44 mag I have to the range one day and compared them off the bench. The Triplelock was the most accurate that day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts