Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand this is not related to Colt firearms.
Hopefully, political opinions will be kept out of here because this is an important issue with all of us and our families.

Im asking these questions because i know a lot of adults of all ages with various health conditions who received the Phizer vaccine without any side effects. Also, I know a lot of adults who will not receive the vaccine for their own personal reasons. I have an appointment to receive the first Phizer shot but im worried about immediate and future side effects; I am indecisive now.

Have you received your vaccine? If so, did you have side effects? Who manufactured your vaccine?
Do you trust it?
Do you believe there is a risk?

Please keep your political opinions to yourself so this thread is not locked. I think a lot of members here should consider the information provided in this thread. Please offer any other information that you think might be helpful.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I and my wife had both Moderna shots, 2 of my children did. 2 more had Pfizer and most of my family back east, several over 80, had them too. Zero side effects other than I felt kind of sick the next day after the 2nd. Most noticed nothing. You can easily see the facts about severe reaction with a little internet research. Severe reactions are very, very uncommon with Pfizer or Moderna, about 3-10 per million doses. Those being easily treated, allergic reactions like someone allergic to bee stings or peanuts.

You can also easily see the chances of hospitalization or death if you get Covid because you are not vaccinated. People 50-64 years old are 25 times more likely to be hospitalized and 400 times more likely to die from than an 18 year old. The mortality rate is about 1-2% but remember it's VERY contagious. If you don't vaccinate and let your mask down before it goes away (due to herd immunity - people who got it or got vaccinated) you are VERY likely to get it. 300,000,000 Americans lets' say, rounded off. Lots got it last year, every time they took their masks off or went back into group settings. And 550,000 died. That is a much higher risk than the rare bad reaction to the vaccine. And I won't even go to the hand wringing conspiracy theorists that say "we just don't know...." Yes, people that think straight do know.

It's a very straight forward, easy decision to make to get the vaccine. Vaccine avoiders started about the time the Internet got big, starting with fringe cults saying they didn't want to vaccinate their children for smallpox, measles, mumps, tetanus, and Polio. Fortunately, the chance of encountering those was by that time very low, and they got away without killing all their kids. All those vaccines and the background principles have worked well since the middle of the last century. But somehow a ground swell on the internet has made it a personal belief system instead of just salute and get your science.

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
I've had both Pfizer shots...my wife gets her second next week. Neither of us experienced any side effects other than a somewhat sore arm at the injection site for maybe a day and a half. The second shot went easier...could be the difference between two different nurses that administered each. I tensed up more with the first shot which could make the difference...the second shot wasn't as bad.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have had both Pfizer shots, Wife has had one, next one next week the 2nd, both daughter and SIL have had one of 2 as well. Know many others that have had them both from Pfizer and Moderna with nothing but a sore arm, minor headache or slight chills that night. My daughter is still nursing and had a headache for a few hours but after that nothing.

For me it was just a sore arm on the first one for 24 hours nothing on the 2nd. No big deal at all.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I received the 1st dose of Moderna a little over a week ago; arm was a little sore for 2 days. My wife has had both Pfizer Shots with no issues. For me, in the end, I'm not terribly concerned one way or the other but having been in the Military, I got so many shots over the years and didn't have a clue as to what they were giving me (especially in my late teens) that I'm not too concerned with this one. Trust me, the Typhoid and Plague shots hurt a lot more! I am all for people having a choice in the matter. Get it, don't get it, but please look into it yourself and make the decision that is best for you. God Bless the USA!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Yeah, not trusting the jabber is understandable if you were in the military. But these are very different. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are so well developed there have been documentaries and medical journal reports about how they did it. It's very well known, and pretty much like the Manhattan Project - the best scientists in the world were given all the resources they needed to do this. And they did it. Not only that, but the trials were just as regimented as for any new drug, there were no short cuts. The only technicality is then a drug needs to be tried for many years to "see if anything bad happens". But how the technology works today, that's not needed for vaccines. Pills and potions, maybe. If you "don't trust the jabber" you are saying you don't trust the current state of medical science, immune research, 2 totally different companies and their variations on vaccines, thousands of doctors, and millions of shots given with no problems. Kind of like not believing the Apollo program landed on the moon.

"...thanks to advances in genomic sequencing, researchers successfully uncovered the viral sequence of SARS-CoV-2 ... roughly 10 days after the first reported pneumonia cases in Wuhan, China." There was no years of study needed to figure out what caused it like for Polio diseases fought 100 years ago. COVID-19 vaccine: How was it developed so fast?
And:
How were researchers able to develop COVID-19 vaccines so quickly?

The real risk is that people don't get vaccinated, here, in Brazil, or Outer Mongolia. The Covid mutates, as it passes from person to person. Suddenly, a more deadly variant emerges, and instead of a 1% chance of dying you have a 30% chance. Then we'd have another Black Death and trust me - everyone will be screaming for PPE and vaccines. We don't want to let the nay-sayers create the next black death.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have had the Johnson & Johnson; have experienced ZERO side effects. Arm was only sore for about 3 hours.
Wife has had Moderna. Minor headache the day after the second shot.
Daughter has had Pfizer. Minor flu like symptoms the day after the second shot (admittedly, she is a bit of a drama queen).

On the Vaccine
I have confidence in this, and all vaccines. As a retired healthcare worker, I’m a huge believer in vaccines and I don’t have any inherent mis-trust of the medical industry. For me the ACTUAL science points to getting the jab is a very good thing. All the conspiratorial stuff falls apart with even mild application of reasonable critical thinking skills.

Why I got the jab
The chances the jab is going to cause me any issues are infinitesimally small compared to the chance I will contract COVID; simple as that. You can what if something all day long, but the actual scientific evidence shows extremely small risk from the vaccine, and moderate to high risk of COVID...pretty easy math.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Me and the wife had our 2nd Moderna shot last Thursday. Both sore arms for about a day and a half. She had no side effects whatsoever on either shot except the sore arm. I had only the sore arm on the first shot but the second shot after the first day I had a mild headache and a slight fever. All in all not a bad experience for us. I personally think it beats the alternative of becoming infected with this dreaded virus. Just my 2 cents worth for what it’s worth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, not trusting the jabber is understandable if you were in the military. But these are very different. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are so well developed there have been documentaries and medical journal reports about how they did it. It's very well known, and pretty much like the Manhattan Project - the best scientists in the world were given all the resources they needed to do this. And they did it. Not only that, but the trials were just as regimented as for any new drug, there were no short cuts. The only technicality is then a drug needs to be tried for many years to "see if anything bad happens". But how the technology works today, that's not needed for vaccines. Pills and potions, maybe. If you "don't trust the jabber" you are saying you don't trust the current state of medical science, immune research, 2 totally different companies and their variations on vaccines, thousands of doctors, and millions of shots given with no problems. Kind of like not believing the Apollo program landed on the moon.
Its just my opinion and certainly folks won't agree but from my reading this covid virus was created in a lab and got loose. So asking me to trust the community that created covid is a big reach.

You see I have never been one to let peer pressure run my life and I have lived long and happy not following the crowd.

Yall do as you see fit but this is a free country and nobody should be required to pump things in their body that they don't want.

Peace be with you guys.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
I have had the Johnson & Johnson; have experienced ZERO side effects. Arm was only sore for about 3 hours.
Wife has had Moderna. Minor headache the day after the second shot.
Daughter has had Pfizer. Minor flu like symptoms the day after the second shot (admittedly, she is a bit of a drama queen).

On the Vaccine
I have confidence in this, and all vaccines. As a retired healthcare worker, I’m a huge believer in vaccines and I don’t have any inherent mis-trust of the medical industry. For me the ACTUAL science points to getting the jab is a very good thing. All the conspiratorial stuff falls apart with even mild application of reasonable critical thinking skills.

Why I got the jab
The chances the jab is going to cause me any issues are infinitesimally small compared to the chance I will contract COVID; simple as that. You can what if something all day long, but the actual scientific evidence shows extremely small risk from the vaccine, and moderate to high risk of COVID...pretty easy math.
Well stated ^^^ 👍👍

·
Registered
388 Posts
Created in a lab - No, that's conspiracy stuff that just can't be supported by actual evidence.
Got loose - Possibly, maybe even probably.

The structure of the virus is consistent with what has been seen in nature, so the likelihood it was "created in a lab" is just science fiction. However, since it is just like other corona viruses, isn't it much more likely that its a virus from nature...you know...just like every other virus that has ever existed?

Got loose - Yeah, that could have happened. It is very plausible the Chinese had the virus in the lab, growing it, watching it mutate, and studying it...That's exactly what the Wuhan lab does. Could it have gotten out? Sure...it happens on occasion.

So while it COULD (again, that's not definitive) have come from the Wuhan lab, it's far more likely it was an honest accident, and not some deep military/political bioweapon conspiracy. After all, that's how every other leaked lab virus happened.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are always those who find reasons [excuses?] of one kind or another not to get a vaccination. It's a good thing most will do it and, hopefully, the effort of those willing to do the heavy lifting will protect those who won't. I'm old enough to remember when polio was a serious matter. Fortunately a vaccine was developed and enough people got it and now polio is pretty much contained. It appears covid might be stopped the same way [if enough get vaccinated]. From what I read there is only an extremely remote chance of any serious side effects.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
I have had both Moderna shots with no side effects at all, and due to my age and the fact that my friends are all either old or if not, they’re cops, health care providers, and teachers, everybody I know has been double-vaccinated, most Moderna and a couple Pfizer. The only thing reported has been a guy with temporary flu symptoms the next day.

Fears of side effects are an internet creation. The Covid vaccines don‘t even appear to have the level of reactions of the normal flu vaccine. Given what Covid can do to you, anyone worrying about the vaccine is afraid of the wrong thing. It‘s a bit like not owning any guns because you are afraid you might drop one loaded and accidentally shoot yourself.

Some folks will exercise their right not to get the shots and live. But they need to be reminded that their long-term well-being will largely depend on enough other people doing the right thing and getting vaccinated. It‘s just like with those folks who like to brag that they never got a flu shot and haven‘t gotten the flu. The main reason is that most people around them do the responsible thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had both Moderna shots with no side effects at all, and due to my age and the fact that my friends are all either old or if not, they’re cops, health care providers, and teachers, everybody I know has been double-vaccinated, most Moderna and a couple Pfizer. The only thing reported has been a guy with temporary flu symptoms the next day.

Fears of side effects are an internet creation. The Covid vaccines don‘t even appear to have the level of reactions of the normal flu vaccine. Given what Covid can do to you, anyone worrying about the vaccine is afraid of the wrong thing. It‘s a bit like not owning any guns because you are afraid you might drop one loaded and accidentally shoot yourself.

Some folks will exercise their right not to get the shots and live. But they need to be reminded that their long-term well-being will largely depend on enough other people doing the right thing and getting vaccinated. It‘s just like with those folks who like to brag that they never got a flu shot and haven‘t gotten the flu. The main reason is that most people around them do the responsible thing.
If you get the jab then you have no worries if anyone else got it because you are protected. If you wear a mask then you are protected so nobody else needs wear a mask.

If the jab or mask doesn't protect you then either or both are worthless.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Like I said, its a free country to choose if you want the jab or not, I respect your choices and leave me to mine.
Like I said, its a free country to choose if you want the jab or not, I respect your choices and leave me to mine.
Ain't it great we have choices...at this point ...I had both my shots...all good

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
All clinical trials carry a risk*. This is a world-wide clinical trial inasmuch as the drugs have only been approved on an emergency basis. There are indications that one should be tested for active Covid immediately before receiving the vaccine, as the combination of vaccine and active disease may trigger the potentially fatal cytokine storm. As well, there have been over 2000 deaths involving the vaccine.

CDC doctors claim to have carefully scrutinized each case (over 2000?) and have declared that there is no connection.

I do not believe them.

* I have been in 4 clinical trials.

Reactions: Doug45 and bczadnm
1 - 20 of 127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.