Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I understand this is not related to Colt firearms.
Hopefully, political opinions will be kept out of here because this is an important issue with all of us and our families.

Im asking these questions because i know a lot of adults of all ages with various health conditions who received the Phizer vaccine without any side effects. Also, I know a lot of adults who will not receive the vaccine for their own personal reasons. I have an appointment to receive the first Phizer shot but im worried about immediate and future side effects; I am indecisive now.

Have you received your vaccine? If so, did you have side effects? Who manufactured your vaccine?
Do you trust it?
Do you believe there is a risk?

Please keep your political opinions to yourself so this thread is not locked. I think a lot of members here should consider the information provided in this thread. Please offer any other information that you think might be helpful.
I've had both Pfizer vaccines. No side effects. Not even sore arm for either. Wife had first, some redness gone next day. She gets 2nd tomorrow. My cardiologist and I discussed it at length and he saw no reason for me personally to be concerned. He's 40 and was getting it. Of course it has no track record.
18 yr old granddaughter had covid and experienced loss of taste and mild cold like symptoms for about 4 days, then nothing more. 74 year old guy i volunteer with got it and it kicked his a-s! He survived but 5 months later no taste or smell and still feels tired all the time.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I understand this is not related to Colt firearms.
Hopefully, political opinions will be kept out of here because this is an important issue with all of us and our families.

Im asking these questions because i know a lot of adults of all ages with various health conditions who received the Phizer vaccine without any side effects. Also, I know a lot of adults who will not receive the vaccine for their own personal reasons. I have an appointment to receive the first Phizer shot but im worried about immediate and future side effects; I am indecisive now.

Have you received your vaccine? If so, did you have side effects? Who manufactured your vaccine?
Do you trust it?
Do you believe there is a risk?

Please keep your political opinions to yourself so this thread is not locked. I think a lot of members here should consider the information provided in this thread. Please offer any other information that you think might be helpful.
I am glad to report my information on receiving the Phizer vaccine. I got my first shot about 6 or 7 weeks ago, arm was sore after shot but I think that was due to the person giving the shot. I was fine the next day. The afternoon after I had the shot around 10:30AM I felt a little fatigued but I was doing a lot of work around the house and I am 76 and feel every day of it!. I got the 2nd shot exactly 3 weeks later and was braced for side effects since others told me that would be the one with side effects. I really did not even feel the shot when it was given (retired Fire EMS guy) and I never had the first side effect of any kind that afternoon or any days after the shot.

Our daughter in NC did not have any side effects with hers but her husband "drug around" after the first one but no effects after the second. Neighbor and his wife were fine after both of their shots.
Dennis

·
Registered
500 Posts
My wife and I got Pfizer within a few weeks of one another. No ill effects either time.

My god-father was diagnosed with COVID last year. He still hasn’t really recovered. He says he’s always run down and never feels enthusiasm for simple daily joys the way he used to. It has been upsetting. Most others I know that have had it recovered fully. Some with mild symptoms, a few that were clobbered.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
2 things said so far have been in the news. If you had covid already, the vaccine may make you feel worse than those that never had the disease. Counter-intuitive, but they say your body has only weak immunity the first exposure to something. Then the second time it fights back (and you feel it). Also read most with strong immune systems (like me) feel the 2nd vaccine worse, because your body is fighting it hard. I did feel yucky the day after the 2nd.

The other thing is the covid "long haulers" benefit from getting vaccine. Those are a percentage of people that get covid, don't have to be hospitalized, but feel weak or have symptoms like lost senses of taste for months or forever "we don't know yet." There is evidence if those get a vaccine, again their body "fights hard" the second time, and they get over it.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
We are up to 556,000 deaths without the vaccine, and many more have been very sick. Odds are in favor of the vaccinated.
Don't forget, those numbers are brought to you by the same folks who bring you "gun violence" statistics used by our enemies to try and take away our right of self defense. I'm not sure why you would trust them. Not to mention the group pushing the vaccine the hardest are those who care nothing for your rights.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
2 things said so far have been in the news. If you had covid already, the vaccine may make you feel worse than those that never had the disease. Counter-intuitive, but they say your body has only weak immunity the first exposure to something. Then the second time it fights back (and you feel it). Also read most with strong immune systems (like me) feel the 2nd vaccine worse, because your body is fighting it hard. I did feel yucky the day after the 2nd.

The other thing is the covid "long haulers" benefit from getting vaccine. Those are a percentage of people that get covid, don't have to be hospitalized, but feel weak or have symptoms like lost senses of taste for months or forever "we don't know yet." There is evidence if those get a vaccine, again their body "fights hard" the second time, and they get over it.
Your post is almost exactly what my Doctor told me. ^^^^^^^

Reactions: bczadnm

·
Registered
530 Posts
I got the 2nd shot of Moderna 10 days ago. The second shot was a bit more difficult as I was "slow" the next day but all was fine day two.

As far as my decision to get the injection, it was based upon 1) my close friend who is a board certified toxicologist and was the Director at a viral testing laboratory. He got his as he felt it was best given all the options. The conversations I had with him certainly supported the science behind the vaccines and 2) I have worked at a medical testing laboratory with many people that are much smarter than I on the subject (I was in sales management) and most of them got the vaccine as they believe it's safe and by far the best option. Of course it was more personal that just that, but given the people I know and trust decided to move in that direction it did have significant influence.

I also have friends and neighbors that are against the vaccine, especially the RNA versions. While I disagree with the decision and the logic I respect their right to make their own decision.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I got my shot a month ago. The hardest part here was getting an appointment. They filled up very quickly. When a block of 1B appointments was announced at a nearby location I had to sit at my computer and keep refreshing until they opened, and was able to get a slot; 5,000 slots and they filled up in a few minutes. Once I got the appointment the rest was easy.

The facility was run by the Illinois National Guard and Cook County Health Department, located in a former K Mart. The Guard personnel were in their crisp camo uniforms (men and women) and had everything organized in a neat and proper military manner. They kept us moving from station to station and made sure none of us old folks wandered off and got lost. They were all very polite and courteous.

The only bad part was the shot itself. It hurt. The shot was given by a County healthcare worker and she wasn't very good at it. I've had a lot of shots in my life and I think a lot of it depends on the person giving it. However it was well worth it to get the Johnson & Johnson one shot and not have to go back. After the shot I went to the waiting area, ate some candy and pulled out a book. There was an older gentlemen, well older than me, in a wheelchair. He was wearing a baseball style Veteran's cap, dark with gold lettering. Some of the Guard personnel were gathered around him, chatting, asking about his service and generally making him feel at ease. I was in and out in about a half hour, including the 15 minutes wait time.

The facility was in a nearby suburb we usually don't go to so we took advantage of the trip and got carry out dinner at a local family run Salvadoran restaurant. I had their version of steak bistec and my wife had a seafood dish. Their specialty is pupusas, which is sort of a Salvadoran pita, stuffed with delicious morsels of your desire. We got a bunch of those and also loaded up on various appetizers. We like carry out to last a few days. Great meal to cap the day.

After I got home I felt a little nauseous, my nose started running and I was a bit weak. I laid down and snoozed for an hour and was fine when I got up. No biggie and a great meal.

weagle99 asked:
"What does this topic have to do with firearms?"
In my case this is firearms related because I went armed. I did this because here in Illinois
medical facilities are 'No Gun' zones. I was curious to see if the facility was so marked. It was not, so in I went. I was pocket carrying so I didn't have to worry about the bare your arm part, take off my jacket and show a holster. I honestly don't think the people setting up the facility even thought of the matter.

KNO3

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
I got the first Moderna shot this morning and didn’t feel any side effects but will see what happens after the 2nd one. I didn’t even feel the shot in the arm.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My wife got the Covid last November and was pretty sick for about ten days. She recovered fully. I took care of her every day and never got a sniffle.

She still works for the Feds so eventually she’ll have to get the jab even though she’s already got the anti-bodies. I’m mostly retired, so somebody else can have mine.

I’m not an anti-vaxxer. I got plenty of shots in the service, and my kids always got their immunizations. I just don’t see any point in getting this one.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
What about those that have been fully vaccinated, as in both shots and weeks afterwards, that are now still getting covid? I know a few. It sort of seems like the other flu's. Some are affected worse, some not so much, some while taking the flu shot still get the flu, some not so much. Seems pretty much the same to me, until someone can factually point me in another direction.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
I recommend everyone do their own homework. Plenty of info out there on pro and con. This subject is as bad as the political BS.
Probably worse imo. I actually had a family member pass of Covid (already bad health) and I’m on the fence about taking it. And the truth of the matter, probably about 0.00000001% of the population have any real actual first hand knowledge of both the virus and the long term effects of the vaccine itself, none of which would be on this forum (or if so would actually make a post about it). So everyone is just going off their own opinion or someone else’s opinion based on very little actual knowledge. With politics at least real tangibles could be discussed. My wife says, and you wonder why you can’t make any friends.... ;).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Both my wife and myself have had both Moderna shots. Our arms were a little sore for a day or so. We found it to be no better or worse than our yearly flu shots.

·
Banned
114 Posts
What is not known is how the human body reacts to this technology. Testing has been very limited in scope of people enrolled (mostly younger and healthy people, no pregnant people, no highly allergenic groups, etc), along with very limited time. At this point, our knowledge is mostly from a theoretical standpoint.

No matter how good and how smart we as a species think we are, there is still a lot we don't know. The human body is an extremely complex machine, and there are many aspects that are still out of our grasp of understanding. We still get a lot of things wrong, especially when it comes to medicine and the human body. From a personal/individual standpoint, I believe it's safer to sit this giant clinical phase 3/4 experiment out. Especially when this virus represents statistically no threat to me. If this was a highly transmissive and airborne strain of ebola, that would be something else. But I'm not willing to be a test subject for a brand new type of technology, not when the risks for the virus are so low.

·
Registered
91 Posts
With these type of post I guess all you can do is post what you know, so here it goes.
Of the family members and friends who did not get covid and got the shot no problems or issues. For those who had covid and got the shot, they had bad issues for three+ days straight. One family member who had covid February 2020 took care of my father in law in December and never was re-infected. If the wife and I had not gotten covid I would have taken the vaccine, but since my chances are very slim getting re-infected I am passing for now.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
No matter how good and how smart we as a species think we are, there is still a lot we don't know. The human body is an extremely complex machine, and there are many aspects that are still out of our grasp of understanding. We still get a lot of things wrong, especially when it comes to medicine and the human body. From a personal/individual standpoint, I believe it's safer to sit this giant clinical phase 3/4 experiment out. Especially when this virus represents statistically no threat to me. If this was a highly transmissive and airborne strain of ebola, that would be something else. But I'm not willing to be a test subject for a brand new type of technology, not when the risks for the virus are so low.
This is a measured, fair and astute response, thank you.

For the last year, I have engaged in what many would consider "risky" behavior with regards to Covid-19, for example:
  • exercising with 30-50 other unmasked people of all ages in a local gym 3 times a week
  • living in a house with nine other male family members and friends from four different states for a week last August on vacation
  • taking four packed flights to and from that vacation
  • living in "hard-hit" Florida
  • attending indoor church services and concerts with dozens to hundreds of unmasked people
  • hosting many unmasked guests in my home, ranging from college kids to elderly relatives
  • talking face-to-face (unmasked) on a daily basis with neighbors, family, friends and acquaintances
  • wearing a thin nylon "gaiter" (when necessary to enter a business) that provides little to no filtration
  • married to an elementary teacher who has taught in-class all school year
Despite all these "risks", I haven't been able to catch Covid-19, and haven't even met anyone who has been substantially sick from it. I'm not as old as some of you (late 50s), but have never had a flu shot (or the flu). I take some supplements, including zinc and Vitamin C, but have no idea if they help at all. I am an 18+ gallon blood donor and have my blood tested for antibodies every 2 months when I give a pint. So far, all the results are negative (darn it!!!). I would also note that I do not consume alcohol (which I consider a poison), soda (2 years clean) or tobacco products. Other than that, I don't have a pristine diet and weigh 20 pounds more than I would like to.

From the standpoint of science, I believe that we breathe in Covid germs (and a host of others) with each and every breath, masked or not. I'm not convinced that taking a relatively untested vaccine against something that appears to be no threat to me is warranted, sorry.

I'm really starting to believe that the greatest risk factor for contracting Covid-19 (for an otherwise healthy person at least) is the fear of contracting it. I refuse to be afraid.

41 - 60 of 127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.