Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
You're right, there are some fine items up in this auction. I'd love to add an Army Special (1917) to my collection, but really have a hard time getting past the 15% buyers premium. It's probably my age. I just don't think it's right that I have to pay for the privilege of buying. I know, I know...don't like it, don't bid. John

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I think the "buyer's premium" is a rip. After all, the buyer is already paying the hammer price! Why should I have to pay an additional 15% (or more) just to buy something from them. But that's the way the big auction houses are doing business these days. On the other hand, you see some things in these auctions that just don't come up anywhere else. Anyway, Cowan's runs a decent auction and it's close to home for me, so I'll be sure to attend. And who knows, maybe I'll get a bargain on something nice.

- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Remember the seller also pays that 15% so the auction house is really on to a good thing. Over here there is usually tax to pay (at 20%) on the auction fees - so your 15% jumps to 18%! Kinda makes you careful on what you bid on.

Rio

1 - 4 of 4 Posts