Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see ammo with the title "cowboy" 45LC or other calibers. What does this mean vs ammo that just says 45LC?

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's my understanding that "cowboy action loads" are designed to mitigate recoil as much as possible while still providing reliable function and accuracy for the cowboy action games. Regular loads might be a little hotter with a bit more recoil. We have some active CAS participants on this board, so I'm waiting to hear what the experts can tell us.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Since I don't handload anymore, I use "American Cowboy" .45 Colt ammo. It has a 200 grain lead bullet poking along at less than 700fps. Light recoil and very pleasant to shoot.
Also very easy on the gun.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I used to call light loads other terms: "target load", or "plinking load". All are to reduce recoil so you can shoot better. Because the "regular" loads assume the "regular" purpose of defense use.

When I shot Cowboy Action, I just loaded "light loads" and never bought store ammo. Over time, the vernacular changed to calling a light load a "Cowboy Action load", then shortened to "Cowboy." Of course, true cowboys 100 years ago wanted powerful, killing power, and didn't care about light recoil.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Why not? Buy a box and see if your gun does well with it. Like all ammo. I don't care what the velocity is when I'm target shooting, I care about group size.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Cowboy loads are made to fall under CAS maximum velocity regulations. SASS regulations require that loads are equal or less than velocities of their equivalent black powder loads. The maximum velocity for pistols is 1000fps and 1400fps for rifles, and the bullets have to be of soft lead. In CAS shooting all you are doing is making steel ring at 7-15 yards. NCOWS takes it a little farther out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
All of the above plus have lead bullets. No jacketed or gas checks alllwed in SASS Cowboy Action Shooting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts