Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I have a colt 45 that I would like to get some information on. I have found 2 serial numbers on it. 144867 & 544. It is nickel plated with pearl grips. Condition is kind of rough. Had a gentleman gift it to me and I would like to find out the history on it. Someone give it to him in 1958. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Without good clear pictures shot in natural light with all angles of the gun we can’t be of much help.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Frame is an 1892 Blackpowder, can’t speak to the other number. It’s been refinished in the past and because it’s from the black powder era of Colt manufacturing shouldn’t be shot with anything but black powder loads. A lot of guns from this era will have a mix of parts from similar models.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just the kind of SAA I end up with. I have a compulsion to "save" old messed up Colt SAAs. I have mostly learned to control myself and not buy ones with miss matched serial numbers but black powder frames get me every time. Are you sure it's a 45? I'm guessing it's not original nickel but you need to letter it and see what it was originally. That's what I like to do, letter it and restore it to original if I can afford it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The triggerguard looks to be from a first generation SAA. If the serial number on it is correct, it would date to 1874. The ejector housing fit is poor, there is a gap between it and the frame. This could indicate that it or the barrel has been replaced. Are there no serial numbers on the backstrap at the bottom of the grips?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hello I have a colt 45 that I would like to get some information on. I have found 2 serial numbers on it. 144867 & 544. It is nickel plated with pearl grips. Condition is kind of rough. Had a gentleman gift it to me and I would like to find out the history on it. Someone give it to him in 1958. Thanks for the help.
From what I can see, the 544 looks like a partial number, with the other digits polished off. Definitely re-nickeled and heavily polished. Interesting with those old pearl grips.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
What they said. The gun is typical of many old Colts The nickel looks like an old refinish as it is thinner and flaking off. More recent plating is thicker and looks much more like chrome and a lot of guns were done by bumper shops and in fact are chrome. The gun is assembled from parts and with out a close examination we can't say for certain which parts are replaced or switched. While it is not a great investment it is still a decent old antique Colt and since it was a gift all the more reason to appreciate it for what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is a good conversation piece. It was given to the man that give it to me and he said it belonged to a sheriff in Texas at one time. Now weather it did or not who knows for sure but gives one something to talk about. That could explain all the wear on it.
Thanks for all the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts