Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an early Python. First thing I noticed was the crane (yoke) would tend to drag while in the process of opening. So, removed the lock screw and what I found doesn't look like any Colt crane detent I have ever seen, but then I have never disassembled an early model. My question is, has the detent ever changed shape? The one in question is more like a pin (no hollow in it at all), couldn't be farther from the detent I expected to find.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,890 Posts
That's not correct.
The Colt new style post-war detent never changed.
Buy a new one and be sure the spring is the original type and not damaged.

You can usually find detents and springs at major parts houses. Note that Colt used the same spring and detent on all revolvers post-war. You don't have to have one specifically listed as for a Python.
Note that the spring is "touchy". It pretty much has to be THAT specific spring. Others will be too weak or too strong or not the right diameter. Be careful of using an "expedient".

Jack First Gunshop - First in Gun Parts - Rapid City, South Dakota
(Gota call, but the best parts house).

PYTHON. Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts
(Detent, no spring).

Colt Python Double Action Revolver
(Got both).

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I had ordered a replacement detent and spring from Jack First, should be here tomorrow. I was looking for confirmation that what I had wasn't correct.

Jack First Gunshop seem to be first rate, not that the others aren't. One thing with Coltparts, they don't take credit cards or paypal. You have to send them a USPS MO. Not real convenient.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Yeah I had a guy sell me a "nib" python which had the same issue. It had a nail in there since they took it apart and lost what was there originally. Since then I always check the guns before I buy them. I did replace the nail with the correct piece and sold the gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.