Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Its been years since I posted, sorry about that. I had a quick question. I know post war colts mostly use the same crane spring and detent, but do they all use the same size crane lock screw? I want to replace mine on an anaconda, with an I frame one. Back in my newbie days, I did not use a proper screw driver and she looks a bit ugly.

Thanks!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,485 Posts
I'm uncertain about this.
According to Gun Parts Corp a Python stainless steel crane lock screw is their part number 190400B.
The same part for a stainless Anaconda is 190400A.

Strangely the King Cobra and Anaconda share many parts but the King Cobra stainless screw is part number 190400C.

Just what the difference is is a question.
Colt didn't assign different part numbers to parts unless there was a real difference.
About all you can do is try a screw from a stainless Python or King Cobra and see how it fits. I'm going to assume that the size and threads are all the same, with possibly the height being slightly different.

Note that Gun Parts Corp does not use Colt factory part numbers.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Note that Gun Parts Corp does not use Colt factory part numbers.
...which is why identical parts sometimes have different item numbers on their web site. I keep all my large frame crane lock parts in one place, have never bothered to identify or separate them and have never had a problem replacing them either. I suspect that they are all the same.

The small frame screws seem to be different though, the diameter and thread is the same but they are a tad shorter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Howdy DFariswheel, Long ass time! Still being that awesome Guru I see.

I only have an Anaconda, I was going to purchase a crane lock screw from Numrich, a nickel one for a Mk III Trooper. If I had another colt, I could try and swap em'.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After research, I have discovered there are two different types. One for I and E frames, and another for the J,V, AA frame. There are two different colt part numbers, so I will heed Dfariswheel's caution. So, I purchased a Trooper Mark III crane screw for the AA. In case anyone is in the same predicament.

ALSO! Numrich sells the part for like 3.25 but gun broker for some strange crazy reason sells the same part for 27.00, just FYI, us broke asses need to stick together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts