Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I guess to start off with I need to explain how close I live to Mexico... 15 km north of the Rio Grande. My buddys and I drive about 5kl south into the levy system to go target shooting, spot lighting for nutria/cottontail and dove hunt during season. No leo's ever bothered us,some were even nice enough to give us some good spots to find stuff over the years. Today we were at our usual spot testing out my new 300 blk ar build. Leaving the ar in the trunk as I was out of rounds we decided to go walking down the road in between the fields to see if we could find some rabbits... No luck.. We get back to my car open her up grab the h20 and began to drink when I see a white Dodge van coming down the dirt road at a very noticeable high rate of speed guy almost flipped it over even. Well not thinking much of it(assumed it was just some dumb kids screwing around) I watched as they got closer and closer aaaaaand closer. Soon the van was within 100 yards of the three of us still going just as fast. I told the buddy standing next to me to toss me his 20 gauge brake open(60 yards) I fired a shot into the field away from the van and the dude in the van throws it into park. The cars comes to a stop about 15 yards behind my mustang then the driver side door opens and the driver bails then starts running up the levy. Then all the doors fly open and people start pouring out of the damn van. The people start laying on the ground when the buddy behind me puts his hand on my shoulder and screams "dude they're illegals". I was about to tell em' to call 911 when we heard sirens, looked to the entrance we saw the van come in from and there was border patrol hauling ass. We waited till they got close dropped the guns n put our hand up.When I turned to look at my buddys I found one of us was missing. Turns out buddy number three had thrown the only loaded gun we had(10/22) and dove behind the car when the doors flew open on the van. Befor I could reach for my wallet 10 or so more vehicles had arrived.The B.P. agents were real nice no handcuffs not many questions just a "what were you guys doin" and "well it was just your lucky day huh"..They let us leave as soon as they caught the driver whom we found out was armed.

On the drive home I realized how lucky we really were and how even if the driver had shot at us and I had a loaded weapon,I would would have not been fast enough to do something about it. I froze when those doors opened.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Exciting story. I can see where one would be potentially changing underwear! Although I don't live next to the Mexican border, whenever I go to the mountains to shoot, I never use up all my ammunition, or I have along a gun I didn't plan on shooting that day.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Used to live in Weslaco and Mercedes. We used to do the same thing down at the irrigation canals. Biggest troubles we had was finding tubs big enough to carry the catfish to the Elks lodge for the fish fry. Times have changed

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Our Border Patrol agents aren't paid enough and you WERE lucky that day. Almost every occasion that I spent any time in Terlingua or in the Big Bend back country we witnessed breaches of the Rio Grande from Mexico. Awareness and prudence are mandatory in this neck of the woods - or should I say desert Southwest! Careful pard; lesson learned! :cool:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Aw, quit your bitchin - don't you know that the border is secure? Homeland Security says so . . . .:bang_wall:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I sometimes shoot at a range that borders the Rio Grande. Yes, that close. Since the berm faces the river I've never seen an illegal try to cross there. :eek:

OP, you were smart in being that close to the Border and armed. NEVER venture that close to No Man's Land unless you are well heeled, legally of course.

·
Registered
249 Posts
As others here have stated, "You were lucky that day". And as Ratzo said, "Always make sure you have Extra Ammo", for me that is at least 3 mags full for everybody in your party who is out having fun. JMHO Dennis

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very well played by you guysHad some old Rambo friends go about the same type of situation on a wild pig hunt.Did not work out well for anyoneBe well and Smart my southern friends KJohn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.