Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local gun shop that has the most collectible guns in our area charges a 3% CC fee. The other shops I frequent here do not. One shop, which is only open on weekdays only accepts cash. How much do you run into this?

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
None of the places I deal with locally add any credit card fee. All are happy to accept cash...maybe easier to negotiate a better deal since they save the fee but I haven't found that to be a deal breaker.

Gun show dealers often add a fee but local stores...no. They must look at it as simply a cost of doing business...maybe even have the fee figured into their retail.

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,770 Posts
You called it with the " fee figured in " statement. That way the shop has flexibility with long time customers. It's their discretion whether to take something off the price or not.

I have never come across a CC fee anywhere I buy guns in person, I always thought that was reserved for internet sales.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought two $500 guns from them over the past few months. The sales tax here is 9.X percent so after the sale I was trying to figure why the gun came up higher than I expected. I assumed there was an added tax on firearms that I didn't know about. The next gun I asked and that's when I found they were charging an extra 3%.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I won't do business with anyone that does this. If they want to account for the cc fee, add it to the base price like every other retailer does. Adding surprise fees to the base price like this is shady to me.

Online retailers that do this are the worst. I was going to buy a gun from a place I found online a while back. I like the price, so I transfered money to my checking account, made an account for that online store, verified my email, went to check out and BAM! all of a sudden the gun is $50 bucks more than what it was showing. I would have paid that extra 50 had it been in the original price, but springing it on me at the last second like that? Nope.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I didn't think adding 3% at a brick and mortar store was legal. However different states may regulate this differently.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have one LGS that charges either a 3% or 4% CC fee. Don't remember which. Not a problem because he has more guns & nicer guns at a cheaper price than any of the other stores. I think he's probably been here the longest also. Certainly longer by 20 years.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The local gun shop that has the most collectible guns in our area charges a 3% CC fee. The other shops I frequent here do not. One shop, which is only open on weekdays only accepts cash. How much do you run into this?
I haven't been "fee-d" yet in a local shop, but of course the national auction houses charge 3% on credit card payments.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had shops do that to me when using them for being an FFL for online purchase. I assumed that was their way of punishing me for not buying it from them and learned to hit the ATM first. Swinging by after work to see what I'm missing means I have no cash. And I never have hundreds on me. That's why I have a CC, so I can make impulsive buys.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Some charge a fee that they have to pay to the company handling the transaction. Some don’t charge for debit card, only credit. None charge for a check or cash. What they charge does not go to the store. In an antique mall I am in, they only require a fee on a credit card and that is split between the dealer and the buyer. We have a sign about the fee as do most shops. I have to figure in the fee for any discount I might give the buyer. Another mall I am in they charge 5% for credit. The dealer pays the fee. Again, I have figure it into my pricing. Hell, some gas stations charge more for credit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It depends on how each LGS operates their store. Store front or not. If they way of doing business is majority cash or checks and CC add 3% is nothing new. If LGS majority accepts CC on everything, they should price their products with 3% built in already and could have pay by cash 3% off.

It just depends on how a retailer operates. However, if a store generally accepts CC and priced as such and tells you an additional 3% for CC, that's double dipping, I would walk away.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I used to post a sign at the register that said "discount on cash payments". I passed on the savings of not losing money to Visa to my customers. That way the price listed was what was expected but you could save money by paying cash.

Years later a tax lawyer saw it and said why don't you just say you don't declare your full income? Advertise it. I told him I declare it all buddy, I just deduct the card fees. He laughed. So I took down the sign and just told people verbally that there was wiggle room if they paid cash.

Adding fees after the fact is shady.

·
Registered
182 Posts
On line sure many dealers add a CC fee for any purchases. I've never heard of it at any LGS for a face to face transaction.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
I would think they could wave it during these inflated times.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
I have seen the opposite- a cash discount of 5% or so.
Tricky way of hiding the CC charge. However, it is a better way of looking at it and a buyer with cash is happy and those using a CC are not disappointed.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I believe that it violates the terms of agreement between the merchant and most credit card companies for the merchant to charge extra for credit card purchases. But they do it anyway.
I always tell the merchant that I can pay by cash or check and ask for their best price. I usually receive at least a modest discount. And of course many of them know me as a long time customer which helps.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts