Colt Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
My best LGS is actually a pawnshop so they do charge the CC fee. Their prices will beat anything local or the internet so I don’t have an issue with this. They are good people and ammo prices are still fair even in these current times.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I didn't think adding 3% at a brick and mortar store was legal. However different states may regulate this differently.
Not something that is real common but it happens. Do you remember being out on the road or even in a few places in the cities---Cash or Credit at fuel stations?

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
Local gun shop charges marked price for credit card purchase, but discounts 3% for cash or check. Has about half and half new and collectible or used.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The credit card companies don't like it as it discourages card use. While I know in the past it did violate the agreement between the clearing house and the merchant I don't know of anybody ever getting in trouble for charging a different price for cash or credit and I don't know if its still part of the contract. Call it a cash discount. I can tell you that I own a local gun shop and I do charge $3 for debit card use and 3% for credit card use. If you don't like the fees you can certainly pay in cash. There are even the rare occasions where without the fee I would lose money. The most frequent example I can show is Pmags. We sell them at gunshows for ten bucks. Somebody wants to use their debit card to buy one and I will lose money with the debit card the bank takes. Right now the margins in gun sales is higher than normal but during "normal" times the fee is necessary in my shop. We don't hide the fee. Its posted in all our advertising, on the wall of the shop and in several places when we do gun shows. Not only that we almost always tell people verbally prior to checkout.

·
Registered
904 Posts
A number of gas stations here in the South have one price for cash and one price for CC. I get 4% back on gas at Costco and lesser % discounts by using the one and only CC Costco accepts. I pretty certain the CC company gives up their % on the business because it gets Costco customers to use their card.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My favorite LGS does not charge "extra" for using a CC. They did offer LE and NRA discounts on most stuff pre-Covid but not anymore for ammo and reloading supplies. Another LGS shows two prices on their tags--the "regular" price and the "cash only" price. I don't shop much at that store--they rarely have used guns for sale (I think the owner puts them all up on auction sites--the shop is in an old bank location and they literally have hundreds of guns visible inside the vault but none ever come out on the floor).

·
Registered
996 Posts
Speaking of credit card fees, visited my local liquor store and they now charge a 3% upcharge.
Now I'm pissed!:)

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
Its perfectly legal to add a CC surcharge in Texas where I live but it varies from state to state. Pisses me off though. Its to the stores advantage to accept credit cards. They should incur the fees. Those that hide the fees in the price usually give a cash discount if you ask though.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts