Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been reading about how easy it is to receive a Curio and Relic FFL. How many of member of this forum have and use this type of FFL?
My research on this matter, shows that this FFL isn't difficult to attain and inexpensive, I can't see a reason why not to apply for this FFL.
I do have a question, as a resident of Ohio can go to a Michigan gun shop or any other out of state gun shop and purchase a hand gun that qualify under the rules of a Curio/ Relic FFL and take home with me that day?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
It basically allows you to buy and sell without having to go through an FFL01, so you can buy and sell out of state, ship and receive etc just like an FFL01. The caveats are that A: The guns need to be C&R eligible and B: You cannot engage in the business of buying and selling firearms. The latter is a matter of interpretation, but I guess ATF would look at the log in and log out dates if they ever audit you. I know some C&Rs who have "helped" their non licensed friends with shipping and receiving, but this would not be kosher with ATF whether you charge for the service or not.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I like using mine. I've only bought a few guns with it, but still worth the money. The discount at parts suppliers is nice too as mentioned above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Only way to get guns that are over 50 years old and not on the BS roster of "safe handguns" into the State of Kalifornia. Rifles can still be shipped directly to an 03 (C&R) FFL holder but handguns must be shipped to a 01 FFL dealer. You must also have a CaDoJ Certificate of Eligibility also to pick up the gun from the dealer. If you don't have the COE the deal is considered a dealer sale, you must wait the 10 days and is limited to one firearm every thirty days. And even with the COE you must still pay the DROS fee and whatever the receiving dealer wishes to charge you for the transfer fee. One good thing though is that after Jan 1, 2018, C&R 03 FFL holders who also posses a CaDoJ COE will still be able to purchase ammo from out of state, otherwise known as Free America!

·
The Consummate Collector
7,190 Posts
I have had a C&R for years and find it very useful for collecting my pre war Colts. You are allowed to sell guns that you have purchased if you are doing it to alter, change or improve your collection. There is not a time period that you must keep a firearm before selling it, you just cannot buy and sell as a business. So if you are doing it as a collector to enhance your collection there is not a problem. Handguns must go by common carrier such as Fedex or UPS unlike the O-1 firearms dealers who can use the U.S.P.S.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I let my license expire in September. I hadn't used it for at least a year. I had used it for a couple purchase before that. The biggest rub is that for individuals shipping handguns it is very expensive and cheaper to go through a normal FFL anyways. The supply of cheap surplus C&R eligible rifles has dried up over the last decade.

I asked numerous shops in Nebraska, Michigan, and Florida if they would sell me C&R eligible guns in person at their shop if I had a copy of the C&R license with me. Every time their universal response was NO! Most shops had no idea what a C&R license is and they don't care. They will offer to ship it to a shop in your home state.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Just got mine the 1st week in December. Had heard stories of months long wait but mine came back in 11 days. Will be able to have my C&R items now come to the house instead of my FFL/dealer in town who also charges for his service plus the fee to the state of TN. It will pay for itself with the first purchase so it seems like a good thing to me. The record keeping seems pretty straight forward so don't see it as anything but a positive.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I've had my C&R for over 20 years. The selection of interesting collectible guns that
meet the "50 years old and over" requirement grows every year. There is a lot to
like in that group! Well worth the payment and minor bit of record keeping involved.

The nearest FFL dealer to me charges $50 to register a gun, which includes the PA
state fee for the background check, etc. My C&R let's me avoid all that.

I've never had a gun seller refuse to honor my C&R, but I've seen a few sellers on
line -- even on sites like Gun Poker -- say "C&R's not accepted, must be an 01 FFL."

Well, that's an easy decision for me I just take my business elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I can't see a reason why not to apply for this FFL.
C&R license + internet +credit card = financial catastrophe

I've had one for years and wish I had gotten it sooner. If you like collecting old guns it's a great thing to have. Also the discount given by Brownells on some items is convenient. The record keeping requirements aren't difficult. Basically it's the same information you should have recorded somewhere anyway.

Here are some of the Colt's I've gotten with mine :

Attachments

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
One "caviat" with the C&R that I did not see, is buying out of state from some dealers. Due to my work, I have traveled all over the US and waaay to may other Continents, but in the US, I always have my C&R with me so I can shop at LGS and Gun SHows. about 1% of the time, a dealer may not accept my C&R license. Thre only thing you can do is leave the firearm you wanted. So you "may" experience this. I have had mine for about 20 years and use it when I can, it is great! Just one other thing. KEEP THE RECORD BOOK up to date and make sure you follow the rules!

·
Registered
788 Posts
On a serious note, i like the c& r license a lot, but the pickings are slimer, or more costly, compared to even a decade ago when we were flooded with the inventory from foreign warehouses ( reading a 10 yr old Shotgun News, russian m38 carbines $70!). Md State Pol okays the purchase by me residents of C&r handguns by mail, and buying one in a md store would require filling out the state and fed papers, a NICS check, the 7 day wait period ( can’t recall if HQ license to buy a handgun applies to a CR eligible...may not).
I bought an M1 winchester carbine at a Delaware Cabelas using the c&r and they had no issue. No paper work, no NICS. If you want to buy the beautiful 1st ( not an antique yet) or 2 nd gen colt SAA from a seller in texas and you live in another state, CR is a great license to have.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good post - I did not know the ins and outs of C+R . I saw a CZ at Classic I liked but didn't feel like going thru the permit process. It said "C+R eligible"
Considering I love the oldies -- Where do I apply.
Yeah-- I'll be Googling that!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had one for many years and it DID cost me lots! It's all okay now though as I would have spent the money on something else that would probably not be worth anything today. Be aware that while you can buy directly from a dealer or individual in another state, it has to be legal for you possess said firearm in that state. For instance, if I were in NYS and found a handgun at a local shop that I wanted, I could not buy it and take possession of it right there since it is not legal for me, a non resident, to possess a handgun in NYS. It would have to be shipped to me, that is if the dealer is agreeable to such. I once found a 1889 Colt DA in a shop in NYS and wanted to add it to my collection. I figured, no problem as it is an antique in any case and I would not even need my C&R FFL. I tell the shop keeper I'll take it and he asked to see my CC license. Don't have one and don't need it since it is an antique. Dealer says no way then I say okay, here is my C&R FFL then. He still says no way - no handguns on C&R FFLs in NYS, not directly anyway. So I say I will pay for shipping to my address. Still no way he would do the deal. I happened to return to NYS about a month later and brought a 01 FFL from a shop in MA with me and went back to the shop. He then said, okay, great give me the money, I did and handed me the revolver! I since let let my C&R go since most of the surplus stuff that I liked was about gone from distributors and my income took a serious nose dive when I was let go from my job. I now work part time at a local LGS and I can use their FFL for any purchase I may need it for.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Some states like NY and CT and NJ and others do not recognize the C&R License so that can be a problem if you live in those states. Otherwise it is good except a C&R may not send or receive handguns by USPS legally. I think that rule is often ignored however.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have had-still have renewed it before the election just in case,a C&R for 20 years as well-I don't use it much now as I have a 01 Dealer except to transfer a luger or two my own collection.

Easy to use the bound book-remember every C&R qualified gun you buy while licensed must go in the book-even if you had to do a 4473 with a dealer who would not accept your 03 FFL
Every sale of a C&R qualified gun must go in your bound book-even if you bought it before licensed( just put that in the Acquisition section).
Shipping can be more as the USPS 1508 does not have C&R on it, but you can use FedEx (or UPS),they have "rules" about overnight.

One other good thing with the 03 is you do not have to turn over your book when you don't renew-dealers must send in the book and all the 4473's.
You,as a C&R holder can buy and sell anywhere (except certain states) -dealers can only sell at business premise or gun show.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts