Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt Early Python NOS Target Grips : Pistol Grips at GunBroker.com

I was interested in this Gun Broker auction for "New-Old-Stock" Python Type II Stocks and became curious about the medallions. When I compared the Gun Broker Auction photos against photos of the Colt medallions in my Python Type II stocks (and other years), there appears to be some differences. I believe, but have no way to prove it, that the medallions may have been changed, likely from silver to gold.

Curious if others have Python Type II Stocks with medallion characteristics similar to the Gun Broker Auction medallions.

First are some photos of my known original Python Medallions from '60, '77, and '80.

Photo of the Colt Medallion in my Type II Python Stocks from 1960:

Photo of Medallion Flange on 1960 Type II Python Stocks:

Colt Python Medallion From 1977:

Colt Python Medallion From 1980:

Photos Of Gun Broker Auction Python Medallion and Flange:
Notice the differences in the "punch" shadowing and the letters.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I don't think you can expect medallions from the 60's to be consistent with medallions from productions runs in later years. The unstamped flange in your second picture would give me greater concern that the stamped medallions in the gun broker stocks. With the flange in that configuration the medallion is subject to rotating in the stock. or simply push the medallion out and put whichever you want in the stock.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I agree with XB40, The untouched flange on your type 2 stocks I haven't seen on origionals. The ones on Gunbroker look correct to me, As I also have a pair for sale there and mine look like the ones on gunbroker, Although His look a little better than mine.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
They should look like the GB picture. Alot of the fakes I see have the description New old stock..if there really is such a thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts