Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was one of the first to post an initial review here of the 2020 Python back in December of 2019. My revolver had a slew of problems and even after a trip to Colt, most issues remained. I sold the gun with full disclosure for a heavy profit (they were in huge demand at that time and I guess still are) and forgot all about the debacle.

I am wondering, though, if Colt has straightened up their act and tweaked or otherwise ironed out Python production? How are the new guns rolling off the factory floor? A part of my still pines for a new Python, but I’d need the forum’s blessing before even trying to go back to that rabbit hole.

Please let me know and take care,

-Panzer

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
Sorry you had a bad early experience. I’m usually not early an buyer of anything (happy with the 2020 Jeep Gladiator, is the exception) so I waited until last month for new Pythons. Then I went all in with 7 of the 4.25” guns. Checked them all out before gifting 6 of them. I am a Python enthusiast and have shot them for decades. I have a dozen or so Pythons from the 60s thru the 80s. I’m very happy with Colts current work product. I have put 200 rounds through mine so far and it shoots great. Planning on whacking a bunch of steel plates again this weekend. Get one or two you won’t be disappointed. And have a great Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine is in the 8,000 range and received it in June after waiting 6 months, paid msrp. I bought a set of grips from gen 2 but the original felt better so I went back to original. My only complaint is the single action trigger pull. Double action is better than all my S&W, but the single action is more or less double action assisted. When you are pulling the trigger in single action mode, the hammer comes back before going forward. Once I get this fixed it will be awesome.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
I haven't examined one in person, only looked online. The recent issue that is giving me pause is that at least 2 guns that I have seen have a gap between the topstrap and barrel vent rib which would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Mine is in the 8,000 range and received it in June after waiting 6 months, paid msrp. I bought a set of grips from gen 2 but the original felt better so I went back to original. My only complaint is the single action trigger pull. Double action is better than all my S&W, but the single action is more or less double action assisted. When you are pulling the trigger in single action mode, the hammer comes back before going forward. Once I get this fixed it will be awesome.
Good luck with that. it is a design feature of the trigger. All of mine do it ever so slightly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have two 2020 Pythons a 4.25 inch and a 6 inch.The 4.25 is in the 5000 range, the 6 inch is in the 12000 range.Fit and finish on both is very good.No light shining between the frame and barrel, frame and cylinder fit is good, cylinder gap and timing and overall finish is very good IMO.The DA trigger is heavy on both, between 10 and 11 pounds.SA pull on both runs between 5 and 6 lbs. DA reliability with both has been 100%. I probably have 500 rds through the 4.25 and 300 or so through the 6 with 38`s and magnums split about 50/50.Shooting wadcutters off a soild rest accuracy is on par with my other Pythons.The 6 inch is muzzle heavy and I prefer the older hollow lug guns but that is personal opinion.The 4.25 handles well and is my favorite of the two. I am not a fan of the new grips and replaced mine with Pachmayer grippers with Colt medallions that I installed.Being a bullseye shooter I have expressed my displeasure with the rear sight in other posts, hopefully down the road a replacement will come along.In 1976 I bought my 1st Python a new 6 inch blue for $253.00 that was 2 weeks pay, in 2020 dollars they are still 2 weeks pay for many of us.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just received my 2020 Python 4.25" barrel #186** range and it looks great. A little wiggle with the rear sight, maybe 1mm left to right but I don't think it will effect accuracy. Everything is tight it seems. There is a slight gap at the bottom of the back strap between the grips. You can tell these are routed with a machine, not by hand but both grips are numbered to each other and they don't match the number of the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I had mine for two weeks. Didn’t see any flaws,however I did not fire it. No regrets on selling,the original is where it’s at for me,despite the higher cost. Pete

·
Registered
272 Posts
Good luck with that. it is a design feature of the trigger. All of mine do it ever so slightly.
Unfortunately mine wasn't doing it "ever so slightly" - did it about as much as my first AR type and that was a government issued XM177. Both Colt products but I was hoping the similarity ended there. Evidently not. ☹

I don't know how the other fellow's SA feels, but I cleaned mine up just a bit with wet n' dry 1500 grit. I'll let it wear in, leave well enough alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts