Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, the latest issue of the Gun List has an article about Colt making a come-back.

Someone says the article mentions a a new double action revolver being developed.

Anyone having a copy, please post a review of the article.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Despite numerous hardships through the years, Colt is making a nifty comeback. The saying still rings true: “If it’s not a Colt, it’s just a copy.” Read about it in the Sept. 8 Gun List.

Sounds good, I'd like to read it as well.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Just as a Joke:
Maybe they are developing the Colt KingSnake. It will be the Best of the Snake family produced as of yet. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Then maybe they will produce the GarterSnake. That will be an entry level gun of course. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well if they come out with the Colt Trouser Snake, I'm buying S&W!

Dave /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I posted a thread about this article in the lounge on 04-28. Sorry I don't know how to link to the thread, but there was some rousing discussion.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I take GunList and here are some quotes from the Colt article:

[ QUOTE ]
Colt Manufacturing's business has stabilized, and the gunmaker is now making a profit on the defense side, said William Keys, Colt's president and CEO, during a recent interview at the company's plant in West Hartford, Conn.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I guess the civilian side of the company is still losing money.

[ QUOTE ]
It's estimated Colt's sales were $80 million in 2004. The company's current workforce is about 468 - 384 on the defense side and 84 in the commercial side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like the commercial side is still only a small part of the company's business.

[ QUOTE ]
Although several models have been discontinued, the company is struggling to keep up with the high demand for its current line, which includes various 1911A1 pistols, the Colt Single Action Army revolver and several variations of the AR-15 rifle.
The problem is sourcing parts, Keys said.
"Our goal is to build up the commercial side of the business to produce 2,000 guns a month", he said, "Our big problem is in finding additional parts at reasonable prices and quality. While we still produce most of our own critical parts, our labor union has allowed us to outsource some parts. Our problem has been finding vendors who can deliver parts that meet our stringent quality specifications"

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the union has started to see a little reality, but it's still a question mark on if they can continue to cooperate with management to keep the company afloat. But I see lots of problems, I mean 84 employee's, and the CEO wants to RAISE production to 2000 guns a month? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Thats roughly only 1 gun a day per employee, how many are they making now? Little wonder that Colt still isn't making money on the commercial side of the company. Think about it, at roughly 7+ hours times $50-60 bucks an hour (or more? GM is $75) total cost with benefits, taxes etc Colt is trying to get DOWN to $350-$450 of employee cost in every gun, then there's the materials, tooling and equipment and facilities costs. No wonder an SAA costs $1350 apiece retail and Colt still loses money.

[ QUOTE ]
UCT's patented nickel-boron coatings reportedly have the potential to change the way firearms are built and maintained. As part of the alliance, UCT has granted Colt and exclusive long-term license to use the technology for the development, manufacturing and refurbishment of its eapons systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's not Colt that has the process for the new lubrication free coating, it's another company; but Colt holds an exclusive long-term license. How is this going to work with the union if Colt ships all of the parts to Florida (home of UTC) for coating by non-union personel? I mean, why bother to ship the parts back to West Hartford, just have UTC employee's assemble the parts into firearms in Florida without paying that high union wage. It also sounds like the military side is going to use this new coating long before the commercial side will get to use it.

[ QUOTE ]
Colt is also on the acquisition trail. Colt Defense LLC announced May 20, 2005, that it had completed the acquisition of the Logistics and Defense Division, Diemaco, from Heroux-Devtek Inc. Diemaco will be operated as Colt Canada Corp., a wholly owned subsidery of Colt. Keys said the Diemaco acquisition will "allow us to enter markets we had not been in before".

[/ QUOTE ]

So Keys is planning on selling the Canadians lots of M4's too? I don't see this as enabling an entry into Europe, or anyhere else for that matter. Probably not a bad move, but will it pay off with new orders? And again, how is the union going to react if those M4 orders are filled by a new (non-union?) Canadian factory?

[ QUOTE ]
Though 2005 was the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the magnificent Colt Python, that revolver is no longer produced. Only one commemorative 50th-year model was made for display at the factory arms exhibit room. Company officials have said the Python was unprofitable, though a new version made with CNC machinery might be made in the future.
Colt is deveolping a new revolver frame it intends to use to revive some of its revolver models, such as the .44 Magnum Anaconda. Customer requests have also led the company to research the production of a stainless-steel Single Action Army revolver. The gun would primarily be marketed to the cowboy shooting market.
Keys stressed that Colt has not taken production shortcuts to increase profits. "All of our frames and barrels start out as forgings, not castings" he said. "Those who purchase a Colt product are truly getting their money's worth."

[/ QUOTE ]

Keys sounds like he has plans for the commercial side that do include a Stainless SAA and a new double-action revolver; and that he wants to (keep Colt/get Colt to) a high quality operation, I just don't know if anyone can do it. I can't believe the kind of per gun costs that he must be facing trying to keep Colt afloat today. At least they did make one 50th anniversary Python, hopefully it will stay on display for a long time.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Thanks, have tried to find this article on the net but couldn't get it. This was very interesting reading, Colt's not where we want it to be but they ain't dead and buried yet!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thank you so much for your sharing of the GunList article.

My take on this is that at 84 mil., and under 500 employees, which is a drop in the bucket in todays market for an international player in the gun business, Colt will continue doing what they have been doing for the forseeable future.

I give them very high marks for just staying afloat. It would be unwise in my opinion for them to approach the retail revolver product lines again.

Would you want a cast parts revolver produced by workers of dubious skills, even giving them the benefit of the new manufacturing technology they count on to bridge the gap between them, and what it took in the "olden days" to produce the collector revolvers we all cherish? It would take a heckuva a new revolver to wean me away from my OMM's, Pythons, Diamondbacks, and others. What the retail price might be would be another surprise.

If at my age there is one axiom I get driven into me fairly often, it is that, "You can't go back", It just is not there anymore as we remember it. Also some of the good old days things in reality, were not quite as good as we fondly remember them to be.

I don't intend to demean what Colt is thinking of in their minds. I just do not think they have a prayer of carrying it off. Recently an article was posted on the S & W forum, that followed the raw steel to the finished revolver back in what looked like the early fifties. I was dumfounded at what it took to manufacture a K-22.

Well there go rambling again. Sorry bout that!

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts