Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New to the forum. Currently, only own one Colt just picked up this last weekend. (I've had several varieties of 1911 Colts but never a revolver.)

This has been customized - barrel shortened and refinished. It is 45ACP. Certainly no collectors item and not something I'd do to a 1917! However, thought I'd share picture here.

Action is very smooth and the cutting down has been well done. Will see how it shoots! One thing I do need is to find some smaller grips from the Pachmayrs. My fingers are short. Need something like without a backstrap. Any suggestions welcome. Grip can also be shorter since I have a lanyard swival sitting around my parts drawer.

A little large for concealed carry but certainly good in the house or to carry in the truck! The price was also a bargin as well.

John

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
John; welcome to the forum. Can you send a photo with the grips off your 1917?? Sometimes,as part of the "customizing process,the grip frame was rounded off,made smaller.

Those rubber Pachmayers should have a rectangular area in their bottom that can be cut out(with a sharp knife) to allow rhe lanyard ring to slip through. Pachmayr DID make these rubber grips for the 1917s and New Services,and they should be so marked inside and have the above mentioned "place" for a lanyard.

These Pachs MAY be for a smaller framed Colt,if your grip frame has been made a little smaller.

Want to be sure,before you try and find some New Service stocks,and find out they won't fit. Also,with smaller hands,I'd look for a Pachmayr,or Tyler grip adapter to go with the regular stocks,once you find them.

Depending on how you "hold" you might want to replace that original "L shaped" cylinder latch,with a post 1928 rounded one. Those older latches can really lacerate a thumb,especially in rapid fire,during recoil!

Bud

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good suggestions!

I had the grips off and the Pachmayrs are for the 1917 and have the place to cut for the lanyard swival (which I plan to add). Grip frame has not been altered - still says "US Army Property" and has serial number.

Had not thought about the cylinder latch but you make a good point about changing to rounded one.

Yes, I'd also thought about a Tyler grip adapter with original or something similar for grips. Didn't know the Tyler adapters were still being made, but found them online last night.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Regards,

John

·
Registered
907 Posts
www.vintagegungrips.com makes repro. hard rubber stocks which aren't too bad. I have been using a pair on my "shooter" New Service until I can find some decent originals. At least you will have the backstrap exposed and room for the lanyard ring.

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
I like it ! Thanks for sharing . Your shooting impressions ?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
John; Let me know if you can't find the stocks,or don't like the reproductions,as I have a set of fake Jay Scott pearls for a New Service in one of my parts drawers. Also have a Pachmayer grip adapter and a "modified",or "smoothed out" cylinder latch somewhere in some other drawers for New Services.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think that is one seriously cool gun. In one of the early Law Enforcement Handgun Digests there is an article (by Dean Grinnel, I think) about sprucing up one of these old 1917s that had been snubbied-out by Kleins or one of the big distributors in the 50s or 60s. They had to knock off the front sight and stick it back on in a different spot to get the old warhorse to hit the paper - a little cold blue followed, and they had one great thumper. I wish I could find one around here at a decent price. Congrats on a good find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
John; Let me know if you can't find the stocks,or don't like the reproductions,as I have a set of fake Jay Scott pearls for a New Service in one of my parts drawers. Also have a Pachmayer grip adapter and a "modified",or "smoothed out" cylinder latch somewhere in some other drawers for New Services.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bud: I'll keep it in mind. Do you have a picture of the fake jay Scott grips? Also, a dumb question - what is a Pachmayr "grip adapter?"

Any thoughts on a holster?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hey Bud,

Is the cylinder release specific to the New Service or will one from an OP fit? I need two for my New Services.

I occasionally carry a 3 1/2" NS in .44-40 as my CCW. I use a Bianchi nylon pistol pocket (pancake style) holster. Any holster for a 3" N frame S&W should fit as well.

The grip adapter is held in place by the grips and fills in the space behind the trigger guard.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Yup,good photo of a Pachmayr Grip Adapter. Those still made by Tyler have a hump or finger groove,and are of metal rather than the plastic of Pachs,Mershon,and Mershons made and marked S&W,that the S&W collectors pay a premium for.

Held on by the 2 little tabs that fit between the grips and the grip frame,they take up space,and really help a smaller hand "get a grip" on a gun especially the big New Service.

Muley Gil;with slight "fitting"(Dremel cutting discs work great,the cylinder latches from an O.P.,or other E and I frames work well. I have one extra O.P.(smooth-postwar latch) and an older "L" shaped New Service that someone modified by "smoothing" the rough angle off from.

Also going to be putting a bunch of D frame smooth latches,and some internal D frame parts up on this and the S&W Forum in next couple of days.

Bud

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bud - I'd be interested in picture of the grips and prices for the grips, grip adapter and the cylinder latch.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
John; no digital camera,but adapter is same as one shown here. Latch is like one on 1917 you have,but smoothed down,or I have one from an OP(modified internally to fit N.Service) that is like the modern Colt latches,or like those on the photos of the 2 Shooting Masters on that thread.

Pearl grips that I mentioned were sold to a friend for his New Service. I do have some plastic post war "Coltwood",with silver medallions for a New Service. These were installed on the few New Services Colt quietly assembled from parts,as late as 1954. These look like the grips on those Shooting Masters,but are square butt,like your 1917. These grips are "as new". Adapter and Latch are V. good to excellent.

Bud

·
Registered
52 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As to holsters: the boys at Bell Charter Oak have long been interested in New Service snubbies. They can fix you up with a number of concealment and other holsters for a 2 1/2" M1917.
http://www.bellcharteroakholsters.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I'll check it out.

John

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hey John;
Super looking 1917 Chopper! Here's my 1905 in .45 Colt pictured in my TIGER model scabbard.
CHEERS!
Lefty
Bell Charter Oak Custom Holsters

1 - 20 of 20 Posts