Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the Years Colt has made a Variety of Limited/Special Editions, Custom Editions, Commemoratives, etc....One of the problems collectors get into is trying to define what it is they have. Here is a case of "CUSTOM EDITION" Colt SAA's... Commemoratives make note of a date in history, Versus Limited/Special Editions which purports to recognize a Certain Group, Lets say what Colt Did for The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, as seen below, (Not a SAA, but for illustration purposes only). Custom Editions are done because; Because they can and have the parts to do so and usually at the nudging by those close to Colt Manufacturing Executives. How do you price all of these ? Sometimes you can't put a dollar figure on it, you just roll with your gut feeling and experience..It's raw but exhilarating at times. JUST FOR CLARIFICATION: I don't leave my pictures up indefinitely and they will be lent to the Colt Fever web site.

On a Colt Letter I have on a Custom Edition Pair
6": "The above mentioned Custom Edition Features 4 3/4", 5 1/2" and 6" barrel lengths. All guns are serialized within the range of SA73501 through SA73688. In Addition to these are 12 special serial numbers consisting of COLT001, COLT002, SACOLT1 and SACOLT2 with 4 3/4" barrels; COLT003, COLT004, SACOLT3 and SACOLT4 with 5 1/2" Barrels;and COLT005, COLT006, SACOLT5 and SACOLT6 with 6" barrels. the Breakdown of the standard serial numbers in this edition are as follows: SA73501 through SA73536 are in consecutive sets of three which include one of each different barrel length; SA73537 through SA73584 all have 4 3/4" barrels; SA73585 through SA73632 all have 5 1/2" barrels; and SA73633 through SA73688 all have 6" barrels."

I also just recently acquired a Single SAA from this series, a 5 1/2"; There are only 50 total Revolvers in this configuration made: And for Sets only 200 ever made and released.

Now I know there are some who don't care for the "UNFLUTED" Cylinder...To Bad, So Sad, Get over it, They are SAA's.:cool:

A Colt Limited Edition Government Model for LASD.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Kid, I think you are correct that Forum members don't like SAA's with unfluted cylinders. I posted this consecutive factory engraved pair a couple weeks ago and did not get a single comment.
I don't frequent the SAA forums enough to see everything. But I do like your guns. I just posted a thread trying to determine the value of some SAA's and didn't get much response. Some were commemoratives and and special editions so I think it was hard to put a price on some of these. Of course I didn't have pictures so it makes it a little harder to help.

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a rule, I try not to place a value on firearms that folks either just bought, want to buy, need to sell , etc...At some point I do a disservice to both the buyer and the seller, and If I am either one, it's hard to walk around when you shot yourself in the foot.

However I will help members who email or PM me, looking for answer to questions regarding their Single Action Army Revolvers. I'm no expert and I don't travel in the same circles I use to, as many of those folks have crossed over. NOR am I interested in helping folks who are in the Business of buying and selling firearms. It isn't that they need my help, some know everything anyway, others are just flipping, which is fine, I have no problem with that, but these Retail establishments that sell thousands of guns a year know better what is selling in their neighborhoods than I and I can't offer any help in those situations.

SixGunShorty and I go a ways back, been to shot show together and we have a pretty good field of understanding as we both have acquired our knowledge from the folks at Colt and our experiences. Jim Martin is another person here on the Forum that has a wealth of information on SAA's that expands across several decades and can be an excellent resource. There are several more, whose names escape me at the moment, who can provide excellent information. After you have been here for as long as I, you will know who you can count on for accurate help.

Me, I'm just grouchy, getting older and don't always play well with others. Rather than hurt someones feelings in a public Forum, I rather just keep my mouth/fingers quiet. :rolleyes:..So If I didn't comment or help evaluate your revolvers, that is my reason. ;)

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
"Me, I'm just grouchy, getting older and don't always play well with others. Rather than hurt someones feelings in a public Forum, I rather just keep my mouth/fingers quiet. :rolleyes:..So If I didn't comment or help evaluate your revolvers, that is my reason. ;)"

I can relate to that!:D
I like those checkered SAA grips!:cool:
I don't care for unfluted cylinders!:(

·
Registered
621 Posts
Kid, my comments were not directed at you. And I understand not wanting to put a value on firearms, especially since it is constantly asked. I am just totally ignorant on SAA's and was trying to provide the widow with some average values and to further make sure that there was nothing in the bunch that was extremely valuable or rare. My assumption was that the SAA forum just wasn't as active as some of the other forums.

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kid, my comments were not directed at you. And I understand not wanting to put a value on firearms, especially since it is constantly asked. I am just totally ignorant on SAA's and was trying to provide the widow with some average values and to further make sure that there was nothing in the bunch that was extremely valuable or rare. My assumption was that the SAA forum just wasn't as active as some of the other forums.
We're good..No crime, No Foul, Just thought I would explain my position. :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.