Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a custom gripmaker who caters to Colt New Service owners? I found Keith Brown grips. I admire his Roper style grips but alas, I don't think he make anything for the New Service. Any help appreciated. Here's a link with one of his "Ropers" on an Officer Model. Beautiful! Keith Brown Grips - Roper

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Here is my Shooting Master with a pair of vintage Sanderson Grips which are IMO almost as nice as Ropers' and probably just as hard to find. Ropers and Sanderson grips are very nice for target versions of the New Service and Shooting Master, but I am looking for the service type possibly ivory for a newly purchased New Service c.1930's from Paul Persinger (sp?). There have been some nice grips on eBay recently, both MOP and Stag service type.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you want to stray away from wood Ken Driskill in Colorado Spring does quality work. You can often find him on Gun Broker under the name of "bigmtnman" or "bigmountainman"...or something very similar. I don't think he has anything currently listed.

This is a set he made for me and are on a customized 1917 US Property.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Does anyone know of a custom gripmaker who caters to Colt New Service owners? I found Keith Brown grips. I admire his Roper style grips but alas, I don't think he make anything for the New Service. Any help appreciated. Here's a link with one of his "Ropers" on an Officer Model. Beautiful! Keith Brown Grips - Roper
Karl Nill Maßgriffe | Home
Hand Gun Grips, Gun Handles, Pistol Grip from Eagle Grips - Eagle Grips Inc. - Gun Grips
Home page
http://www.skgrips.com/6412.html

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Herrets are here

NewService41, Yes they are for my 1932 vintage New Service 5 1/2" 45 Colt. I chose their Roper style with open back, figured walnut, fine line checkering, and finger grooves. Dave

My newly made stocks came in today. Here are a few pics. Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool looking grips all around. Got a few answers. I can appreciate all the "side iron" eye-candy, but this post was really about grip makers who are currently making grips for the Colt New Service (which a few have answered). But can anyone else help a fella out here? My custom 44 Special will be done in at least four more months and it would be kinda cool to have a custom set of grips made up for the build. Thanks. NS41.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Jackson:
The carved steerhead grips on your SAA were apparently done by the same carver as mine. See below photos of my Bisley and the SAA. Both were done about 30 years ago by Sol Weisenfeld from Lakewood, NJ, his company was called Gun-Art Company. He did some contract carving for Colt also. I believe he died about 10-15 years ago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.