Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This old box was converted into a gun case by a friend who taught blacksmithing at an art college in Berkeley, CA. I made him a holster for it in the 1980s. He scrimshawed my initials on a piano key under the lid. Also, Jim Martin's coffin case for a Buntline. If you have one, and most of us do, let's see 'em.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Here are two cases I made:

First attempt circa 2006 ( it is for a Colt Navy 1851, but took a pix with an Army 1860)

Second case I made a few weeks ago . For my newsest toy, a Colt SAA 4 3/4" Nickel. 45 Colt

I don't think I'll wait 10 years between case builds ! Maybe I will try again this winter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice boxes!! One of these days I will find a Consecutive # pair of SAA's 4 3/4" .45LC second Gens ....Then I will dust off the old woodworking skills and make a nice case for them with a glass top plate..

Don Curtis

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Another Jim Martin case. He'll give details about it.

I tried to match the grips & box as close as I could,I built the grips & did the action on this 1958 colt back in '58 when it was new for my oldest friend,the box wasn't made until about 3 or 4 yrs ago,I bought the colt from him about 3 days before he died from a long heart ailment which was about the same time,I didn't want to see one of his grand kids get it that wouldn't appreciate it & he & his wife really needed the money,we had been friends since 1948.We had been in constant contact over the phone & when I found out how close he was getting I had to talk to his wife about buying it because he was too weak to talk on the phone & she told him what I wanted & I heard him in the background & he said" that SOB ain't gonna sell it is he?"He never lost his great sense of humor all the way to the end.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Here are two cases I made:

First attempt circa 2006 ( it is for a Colt Navy 1851, but took a pix with an Army 1860)

Second case I made a few weeks ago . For my newsest toy, a Colt SAA 4 3/4" Nickel. 45 Colt

I don't think I'll wait 10 years between case builds ! Maybe I will try again this winter.
OK I got bored and decided to go for a 3rd attempt at making a custom wood case. Still made a few mistakes but am pleased with result.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Darn! The pics of the coffin box wont show up. I really would love to see them. I actually was thinking about trying to make a coffin box for my Buntline. I had no idea others were already building them. If anyone has a pic of one please DM it to me. Does anyone offer the for sale?

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I'm not a woodworker and definitely not a craftsman capable enough to make a gun case. My brother, John, inherited the wood skills from our Grandfather. He knows how to work with wood.
Now for me, I bought a case for my BYF41 P08 and a 4 3/4" SAA from Bill's Cases. I have another one for a 5 1/2" SAA on order with him now.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm cheap.
Found a case at the flea market for $10 and repaired the loose glass for a few of my Italian BP pistols.
Works for me as I don't display any higher cost guns anyway.
The old days of having a glass gun cabinet are gone. Sign of the world we now live in. 20200324_133518_1585072824680.jpg

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I'm cheap.
Found a case at the flea market for $10 and repaired the loose glass for a few of my Italian BP pistols.
Works for me as I don't display any higher cost guns anyway.
The old days of having a glass gun cabinet are gone. Sign of the world we now live in. View attachment 689525
Like you I don't display my guns, they stay in the safe, but for one exception. My one Series 70 pistol sits on a table in the computer room.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Rick, that is an interesting case. Made like a laptop desk I think they call them. Because of its larger size, perhaps a military or ship captain's field desk? Looks to be well made/quality with the splined corners.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Rick, that is an interesting case. Made like a laptop desk I think they call them. Because of its larger size, perhaps a military or ship captain's field desk? Looks to be well made/quality with the splined corners.
Keith, I had no idea so i like your suggestion. The small brass pieces inside are riveted thru the bottom and look like the might have had "rings' attached to hold something in place. Top and bottom are veneered not solid glued up wood so probably not high end but it has age.
i think it's walnut.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts