Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished these last weekend after almost 20 years spent on the 44 Special. The basic spec's are:

41 Special started out as a commercial model made in 1912. I fit a new 357 Mag. cylinder and Gary Reeder in Flagstaff installed a Douglas 1-16 twist barrel and chambered it. Action job, S&W rear sight milling and front sight by The Good Doctor. I made the stocks from fiddleback mesquite, polished and blacked them with lye/ammonium nitrate. The screws, pins, hammers and triggers are heat blued although they don't show up against the black very well.

44 Special started as an English model made in 1917. The Good Doctor fit a new 357 Mag. cylinder and had a 1-14 twist Douglas barrel installed. He did the rear sight milling. Magnum Precision in Phoenix copied the front sight on the 41 and installed it. I made the stocks from burled mesquite.

The rear sights are Millett N frame old style.

I'll post them in the New Service photo thread too.

41 Special

44Special

After researching the 41 Special I thought it would be fitting to make a New Service in that cartridge. I love the 41 Mag. but the New Service frame just won't take it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nice looking New Services!

Hi Darne. Wow, that is a pair of very nice looking New Services! Personal preferences being what they are, I really like the stocks on the .41. Is the barrell on the .41 tapered? I can't tell from the shadow. Who is the Good Doctor? I'm curious what load(s) you will be using in this pistol?

The .44 is quite a handsome piece. What load(s) are you planning to use in it?

Your pics are making me antsy for the New Service I have out being customised as we speak. Some time ago, I sent my 7.5" .45 Colt to a smith in Md to have pre war S&W rear sights and a Bowen front sight installed and have him recut the muzzle crown. I talked to him last week and he's aiming to have it done before the end of the month. I can't wait!
Mergus

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words.

Both barrels are six inches tapered from .95 to .65.

The Good Doctor is my best friend. He and I met in college and being rabid gun cranks gravitated to each other. He has spent a lot more time then I have inside Colt double action revolvers. This whole project was the result of "Dirty Harry". We all wanted 44 Magnums, but Colt wouldn't make a New Service again, so we went retro to the Keith original. A warm 44 Special load in a stout revolver.

The model for these is the Colt 357 Model. I have a six inch and I wanted them all to look and work as close to the same as I could make them.

My current load for the 44 is a 245 gr Semi-wadcutter at about 1000 fps. The 41 will wind up a little warmer but not much.

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Nice outcome indeed

Both are fine calibers. I had to do a seach and found John Taffin's article on the 41 special. Has a SAMMI spec. been developed for the cartridge yet? Some of those loads rival the 41 magnum it appears. Brings to mind the 401 Herter's power mag. A couple of years ago, I found 150 original unfired empty brass in original boxes at the Big Louisville Gun Show. It was amazing what that brought on ebay (when one could sell evil empty brass). It is neat to see old classics that may show their years being brought back to life.

·
Registered
153 Posts
.41spl loads

Darne, What are you loading in the .41spl? I'm loading mostly 215gr swcbb commercial cast bullets. I have used 12.5 to 14gr of 2400, 5.5 and 6gr Unique, 6 and 6.5 gr universal, and 7grs Power Pistol. I load this in starline .41spl cases and use Federal LP primers. (WARNING this is safe in my particular gun, as assembled by me. Use at your own risk.) I just wondered what you were using for loads.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Show & tell --- My DIY build of a 1917 frame, 1909 cylinder, piece of 1880s SAA barrel & my ebony/ivory grips & décor. Nickel job outsourced. I would have put adjustable sights on it but didn't find anything suitable.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Show & tell --- My DIY build of a 1917 frame, 1909 cylinder, piece of 1880s SAA barrel & my ebony/ivory grips & décor. Nickel job outsourced. I would have put adjustable sights on it but didn't find anything suitable.
Yep Bob, adjustables on a snubby is a little...overdo ;)

My 1924 .45Colt New Service modified prior to my ownership but well executed. She's accurate and a fun to shoot. I'm thinking it had the 5 1/2" barrel and cut to a 4".

Metal Brass
Gun Revolver Shotgun Trigger
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Whoever did the work took pride in it.

Handgun holster Tan Brown Leather Footwear

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Now cut this out!

I'm trying to get rid of my double action revolvers and replace them with Single Action revovlers!

My first gun as a kid was a Colt New Service, and my first custom made over into a .44 Special. Work was done in the kitchen and a local machine shop! This when a decent Colt New Service was $24.95.

Bob Wright

P.S. Nice looking Colts, all. Done about flung a cravin' on me again.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Hi Darne. Wow, that is a pair of very nice looking New Services! Personal preferences being what they are, I really like the stocks on the .41. Is the barrell on the .41 tapered? I can't tell from the shadow. Who is the Good Doctor? I'm curious what load(s) you will be using in this pistol?

The .44 is quite a handsome piece. What load(s) are you planning to use in it?

Your pics are making me antsy for the New Service I have out being customised as we speak. Some time ago, I sent my 7.5" .45 Colt to a smith in Md to have pre war S&W rear sights and a Bowen front sight installed and have him recut the muzzle crown. I talked to him last week and he's aiming to have it done before the end of the month. I can't wait!
Mergus
which gunsmith in Maryland? oops I really need to pay more attention to the dates of the post.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
A Custom New Service to be -- Rough now, my work-in-progress, .44-40, I'll continue on it any day now, since I'm about out of the woods of a year of chemo, radiation, surgery, etc. Bought it cheap, bore just a black hole but mechanically outstanding. A 1904 New Service that goes to battery when cocked slowly. I found a $10 German made .44 Mag barrel blank that's now in place. Quite a bit of prep & polish, a little engraving, nickel & barkless stags are what I have in mind. More pix later ----

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
The .41 Special is a pretty impressive cartridge overall. I think Starline (or some other maker) made a run of .41 Special head stamped brass some years ago. Neat conversion that should be a fun gun to own and shoot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A Custom New Service to be -- Rough now, my work-in-progress, .44-40, I'll continue on it any day now, since I'm about out of the woods of a year of chemo, radiation, surgery, etc. Bought it cheap, bore just a black hole but mechanically outstanding. A 1904 New Service that goes to battery when cocked slowly. I found a $10 German made .44 Mag barrel blank that's now in place. Quite a bit of prep & polish, a little engraving, nickel & barkless stags are what I have in mind. More pix later ----

Most importantly, very glad to hear you are almost "out of the woods" -and- have a project to occupy yourself with. I am considering the options for my own project gun. I'm in the middle of tinkering with a S&W

Sent Using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
BobWright -- " when a decent Colt New Service was $24.95."

Like this?

Very, very close. Mine was advertised by Gart Bros. Sporting Goods, Denver, Colorado. I believe $24.95 was the base price, add $5.00 more for select condition. I believe mine was $32.95 including shipping by Railway Express Agency. I was thrilled when that green truck pulled up in front of our house.

Bob Wright

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.