Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Approx. a year ago I asked what a Pope-barreled Camp Perry might be worth. After going back and forth a few times with a friend, I made an offer and it was accepted. The 10in. barrel is marked "H. M. POPE" and numbered on the underside "760 B2". The bore is perfect.

I thought the extended grips might be Sanderson. I took them off to look for a number but instead the left grip is pencil-marked "Houchins #1". I did a quick Google search and saw the gunmaker Houchins was tied to custom revolvers and modified some for Elmer Keith.

Other modifications are the skeletonized hammer and the cylinder latch thumb piece has been bobbed. The hammer pull is smooth and the trigger is like breaking glass. I haven't shot it (yet).

Joe

Attachments

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Very nice complete package and can't wait to get a range report. I see that it has a custom front sight installed as well, looks good. With that Pope barrel it should drive tacks.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Beautiful, well-preserved timepiece. Educate me. Is that a flat cylinder - with two chambers?

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Beautiful, well-preserved timepiece. Educate me. Is that a flat cylinder - with two chambers?
The Camp Perry is a single shot target pistol that was designed by Colt to compete with the other manufactures that were producing them at that time i.e. S&W, H&R, Hopkins & Allen & Stevens. The barrel ran through the breech block and the cartridge was inserted directly into the barrel. Shown below are the two barrel lengths that were made, the 8" and 10". Here is a photo that may help:

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
The Camp Perry is a single shot target pistol that was designed by Colt to compete with the other manufactures that were producing them at that time i.e. S&W, H&R, Hopkins & Allen & Stevens. The barrel ran through the breech block and the cartridge was inserted directly into the barrel. Shown below are the two barrel lengths that were made, the 8" and 10". Here is a photo that may help:

One of the coolest designs ever.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Greatly appreciate it! Yes, the photos make it very clear. This was no small project, indicating Colt's seriousness.

Reactions: thecoltguy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts