Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about a Detective Special I picked up yesterday.
At first I thought it a SF-VI or DS-II(looked stainless) with a bobbed hammer but as I looked closer it is in fact a last issue Detective Special hard chromed from the Custom Shop with bobbed hammer, front night sight and the smoothest DAO trigger I've ever experienced. It's NIB with all paperwork/etc.
Anyone know anything about these? When made, how many, value, etc?
Thanks,
Darnell

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sell it to me because it is obviously defective and no good except for a paper weight and I am a nice guy and will do you a big favor and take it off your hands. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Signed,

Jealous

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jealous-
Here are a couple of photos just so that you are sure you wouldn't want this defective Det. Spec. that had to be hard chromed to cover up whatever defects it had.
I'm really amazed at the precision machining on the front sight for the Trijicon insert.
I should probably sell it instead of keeping it around and being tempted to shoot it.
Darnell

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
In the later days of the Detective Special, Colt made several short runs of custom models with a variety of finishes and options.

There was a Lady's model with a bobbed hammer and a luminous front sight insert, a model with a bobbed hammer, red sight insert and a set of Zebra wood grips, and several Electroless nickel plated versions.

I would suspect that unless you have an aftermarket custom gun, your finish is actually satin electroless nickel also known as "Coltguard".
This finish often has a slight yellowish color, like most nickel plating.

Often these custom models were very low production and most people have never heard of them.
Most of them are simply marked as Detective Specials, with the custom features or name marked only on the box.

Often times, these don't bring any real extra value when sold, but make excellent shooters and collectibles.
These will have some value as collector's guns, so be sure to preserve the box and ALL it's contents.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dfariswheel,
Thanks for the information. The box was marked "HC", which is what the seller told me the finish was, hard chromed. What would this HC represent then if the finish is electroless nickel? I don't really see any yellow color, the finish looks like stainless steel to me. Although my lighting made for a yellowish tone in the last photo.
Thanks again,
Darnell

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Colt offered a 4th issue (sorry) hard chome finished DS with a bobbed hammmer. It is Blue Book itemized. It had a night front sight (I see yours is drilled and inserted) and a "honed" action. Could also be had in blue. BB is $595 @ 100%, $500 @ 98%, $375 @ 95%, but I think they would bring more than that on the market. It's a beauty and one of those guns I have on my wish list. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
BTW, I would say the "CB" suffix on the model would be "Chrome Bobbed".

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
Sorry, Monday foggy mind:

Colt did start to offer some Custom Shop hard chrome plated finishes later, but I "think" these were sent out to outside contractors due to the cost of the equipment and EPA regulations.

These guns were offered in 1995-96 just as the Detective Special was discontinued.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dfariswheel,
I know the feeling on Mondays.
Any idea how many of these were made?
The night sight is dim. Any idea if the custom shop could replace it?
I'd like to shoot it but at the same time I really don't want to diminish it's value. Especially since I will probably sell it at some point to fund another S&W purchase.
Thanks,
Darnell

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
Only Colt knows, but production was low.

I'd be surprised if Colt wouldn't replace the front sight insert.
The insert is "glued" in place, usually with a silicon cement, so replacement isn't going to do any damage.

If they won't, ask who they recommend.
Most Tritium sight makers will do installations and replacements, ask Colt who to see if they won't.

"I will probably sell it at some point to fund another S&W purchase."
You classless barbarian. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"You classless barbarian."
Guilty as charged!
I'll make sure I mind my manners when I'm here on the Colt board.
Thanks again for your help.
Darnell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts