Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the custom shop is taking any new orders for the SAA? I think I read somewhere that they had stopped a while back.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Word is only one employee is left that builds them and he is retiring in January.
That's almost hard to believe -- that they would abandon such a classic. If the part about only one guy
being left is true, then no use placing an order. Wonder how much of an unfinished backlog there will be?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
But you really don't know what they are doing in my opinion because you don't hear the entire story. Colt may have a big SAA order they are doing and won't accept more orders. They seem to have no trouble when it comes to a lot of guns in one order.

Jim

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
But you really don't know what they are doing in my opinion because you don't hear the entire story. Colt may have a big SAA order they are doing and won't accept more orders. They seem to have no trouble when it comes to a lot of guns in one order.

Jim

I have no idea where that big order is going or who placed it, because the SAA is just not hitting the streets in any kind of numbers. Nor, has it ever hit the streets in large numbers. The SAA, I predict is never coming back in any big numbers and the special order is done for. Just my two cents and observation.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have no idea where that big order is going or who placed it, because the SAA is just not hitting the streets in any kind of numbers. Nor, has it ever hit the streets in large numbers. The SAA, I predict is never coming back in any big numbers and the special order is done for. Just my two cents and observation.
Just from what has been said in other threads, Colt has made up special orders while normal orders are put way back. A prime example was the hateful8 guns an actor had made. Bet Colt made a good profit on that order and far better than a stock gun. I also believe Colt ships overseas so just because you don't see them it doesn't mean they are not making them.

Did you ever see the pictures of Sadam Colts? He had some great Colts.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Just from what has been said in other threads, Colt has made up special orders while normal orders are put way back. A prime example was the hateful8 guns an actor had made. Bet Colt made a good profit on that order and far better than a stock gun. I also believe Colt ships overseas so just because you don't see them it doesn't mean they are not making them.

Did you ever see the pictures of Sadam Colts? He had some great Colts.
I guess the point is that the general public has no access to the custom shop unless you want your 1911 tuned and upgraded. And we certainly don’t have access to custom SAAs through the custom shop any more. Any celebrity can have anything made at a price. We were discussing whether the custom shop was taking orders from us, and the answer is no they are not. No one said they aren’t making them, just that you or I can’t have a custom one made for us anymore, for the forseable future. Sure some guns are reaching the public but by way of online auctions. The day of walking into a gun shop and buying off the shelf are gone, and obviously for the guy on the street ordering one just ain’t an option anymore.

·
Registered
709 Posts
A few thoughts here. First, I don't think the "new" Colt company cares about customers one bit. Just my opinion. Second, why not adopt the technology they used to make the new Cobra to the SAA line? After all, in about a year or so, they went from saying that they were totally out of the DA market forever, then low and behold, they shipped thousands of new DA revolvers in a year. I realize that not everybody will be happy with a MIM SAA, but better than nothing....just one request, before they do such a thing, could you possibly produce my 4 3/4" .44 Special New Frontier? It has only been seven or eight years since I started trying to get one. My local gun shops would be happy, as every time I go to ask about it, it is like telling the same old joke over and over....it is not funny anymore. Lastly, Colt is reminding me of the the period where S&W had their "gun of the week", introducing a new model very often. Colt is doing it half assed, where as S&W made changes in barrel lengths, fire controls, sights, calibers, etc., Colt seems happy to take the standard 1911 platform, put a different color Cerakote on it, maybe different color grips, different color front sight, and then have people ooh and ahh over such innovation. I guess P.T Barnum was right after all.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I own a few Colts and not one straight from the factory. I did buy one retail from a store, a New Frontier but it was luck finding it. I found the majority of my Colts on Gun Brokers, it seems that place is the new middle man. Long ago I gave up thinking I could use some retirement money to have Colt build me a gun, I haven't got more than 10 or 20 years left.:cool:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Colt unfortunately is run by dolts. While other firearms makers were rolling on the dough, Colt is showing zero innovation. Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Glock, are booming. Colt is stuck in the past and living off its name alone. No attempt to capture the law enforcement market which in turn sells millions of guns to the general public. All they produce now is guns that everyone else makes. The only thing new was a double action revolver. It is nice but, it is only a niche market. I would guess most of the Cobras sold were sold to speculators who want to cash in on a short production life of another of Colts failures. Hopefully Colt goes belly up and is bought up by some people with foresight and knowledge.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Some months back I posted that the custom shop's future itself was in doubt.
It's been gutted to about half of what Brent was able to expand it to before he was removed.
That's still the case.

The future of the Peacemaker is equally dim.
The gun is still being produced, largely by one guy, but they're not going through the custom shop & quite likely never will again.

Unless things change at the upper management level, there's nobody being trained to replace him & when he's gone, you can guess the rest.

As for the idea of a MIM Peacemaker?
Good God, are you insane?
Denis

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
"The Colt Custom Shop is currently accepting custom 1911 orders, however, the Colt Custom Shop is currently and temporarily not taking new Custom Single Action Army orders at this time."

Fact is you can train almost anyone with some hand and eye skills to build a decent 1911. Tweaking a SAA to actually run and hit what you aim at takes more skill imo having built both. Colt could step up their production skills and labor's skills like USFA did or they could let everyone in the factory that had the skills to build a good SAA retire, layed off or fired. The chances of employees with that skill set returning to Colt's Custom shop is pretty low IMO guessing by how little the Colt Co. values the SAA customer now. Bringing in new production facilities to build a better SAA and up production? Not likely.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You can see the demand for a good SAA by the prices folks are paying for USFA guns, high dollars for a good copy. No telling how many old timers like me would rather have that retirement money in great Colts than gaining nothing in the bank. It's not like there is no demand for the guns but it would take a new company years to build a name that would get Colt prices for their guns. So really I agree that to get more SAA guns it would take new management but looking around I doubt we will see that for a while.

Jim

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
You can see the demand for a good SAA by the prices folks are paying for USFA guns, high dollars for a good copy. .

Jim
Speaking of SAA prices, what might a CustomShop -produced 2d or 3d Gen, NIB SAA in 45Colt, bright nickel, 4 3/4", with original Ivory or Pearl grips go for?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Revolting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just drop the Peacemaker entirely, bury the model forever, and give it a mournful, but RESPECTFUL, send-off.
A MIM-ed Peacemaker with a Colt branding would be an insult to everything in the gun's history, a slap in the face to those who know what the gun is & has been, and a sorry death knell to the Colt Single-action.
Denis

1 - 20 of 91 Posts