Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it okay to store a nickel Colt SAA in one of these felt lined display cases long term? I don't want moisture to damage the finish on the gun so I'm hesitant to order one of these for storing a gun.

I'd like to have something to store it in. Maybe I'll just put it in my wall mounted display case and move one of my other SAA's into their original blue plastic boxes. I guess I could get another blue plastic box for it though or just store it in one of the other boxes I'm not using but they have foam inserts so I guess the same question applies for that. I would wax the nickel finish before storing but still would be concerned with the finish being protected for longer term storage (in between shooting and cleaning).

I'm probably over-thinking this. I've never owned a nickel plated gun before and I don't want to ruin it.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I never store guns in lined display cases. I use either the original shipping box for the gun or plain brown kraft boxes. I use Renaissance wax on the nickel guns and RIG protective grease on the blue guns. The guns are wrapped in vapor barrier paper inside the boxes. The guns in their boxes are stored in a safe with a dehumidifier.

- - Buckspen

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I never store guns in lined display cases. I use either the original shipping box for the gun or plain brown kraft boxes. I use Renaissance wax on the nickel guns and RIG protective grease on the blue guns. The guns are wrapped in vapor barrier paper inside the boxes. The guns in their boxes are stored in a safe with a dehumidifier.

- - Buckspen
Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

I was thinking that waxing the firearm and then folding a piece of wax paper around it to prevent the gun from sitting on the foam inside the case.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I only do a couple in cases but I cut a piece of wax paper the size of the gun cut out and put it down under the gun. This not only keeps the gun from touching the felt but also keeps the felt clean from oil stains. I also use a piece of VPI paper on top of the gun. This protects the lid's interior felt from stains and also releases a protective barrier....some way or another. Not sure how that paper works. Regards.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2 gun wall mounted display case that has minimal contact points with the gun so I may just put it in there and move one of my other SAA's out of that case. I have some time to figure it out as the gun isn't even in my possession yet and once I can pick it up it is going to the gunsmith for 4-6 weeks anyway.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw an NRA centennial that the left side was mint but the right side were it layed in the case was ruin.
That is my main concern with leaving a gun sitting in a case for years. Especially with a nickel plated gun. I expect I'll shoot it a bit here and there but it could sit for months or longer between shootings and cleanings. Hell, I have guns I haven't shot in a decade.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts

I’ve wondered about this myself. I have only one cased Colt as seen here. The gun is ren waxed not oiled as oil can really hurt the soft interior lining. With an original Colt gun where there were only 500 made,40 years ago,you want almost as much protection for the box as well as the pistol because you probably won’t be able to replace it. I do,leave it stored like this in a humidity controlled environment and check it often,probably not recommended but that’s my story. Pete

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
I too am a big fan of Ren Wax on both Blued and Nickel finishes. I have been using wax paper for many years as my Dad had always done and never ever an issue with the guns stored that way. As Dad would always say >> It’s food grade paper and contains no man made chemicals. I do ball it up then unfold it first before wrapping the gun in it to form. And depending on how much you take the gun in and out of the wax paper it will need replaced from time to time.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts

- - Buckspen
My late Uncle swore Rig was the BEST. And for my long storage firearms I also use it. Never ever had an issue. A little does go a long way I might add.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I am in the process of cleaning up some old guns that were put away many years ago covered in a layer of cosmoline. The guns were all a dull brown from the stuff having dried out over the last 50 plus years. The guns include everything from a real brass frame Henry to some military surplus Mausers. For long term storage it did it's job well but it had to be removed with chemicals. Here are some pictures of a 2nd Model 1873 I bought from the batch. It was the worst of the lot when cleaned as all the patina had been removed before applying the Cosmoline. Several of the guns were like new under the stuff. When you look at the pictures and think to yourself it looked better before it was cleaned remember this was all just dried wax and not patina. No rust was removed just the wax / Cosmoline.

IMG_6569.JPG IMG_6582.JPG IMG_6610.JPG IMG_6629.JPG IMG_6598.JPG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts