Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have opportunity to refurbish a 2" D Frame Cobra and make it more of a "bellygun" with bobbed hammer and combat grips. Will also need a refinish as this one has lots of holster time and little shooting experience.

Wonder if anyone could provide some pics of their snubbie projects for inspiration, and an explanation of why you did what you did?

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
acre5, your forgetting to put
immediately after jpg on your URL. try editing your post and see what happens.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the photo Acre5. Love the stags and the Colt holster, Hank Sloan model. Definitely a great belly gun and a realistic way to carry it.

Would like to see the project when complete.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi
Is that little silver piece in the picture the hammer shroud?
I never saw one before. It looks like a pretty neat little gadget to cover the hammer so that it won't stick into your stomach.
Is that what it is for?
Where do you get it?
Thanks

------------------
merc
Living without Liberty, is not Living

·
Registered
182 Posts
Merc, It is the hammer shroud. It came from ebay . Colt sold these along with a drill bit and tapp packaged in a small brown box in the late 60's and 70's.I see about three a year on Ebay . They go between 20-50 dollars. Currently,Waller and Son sells an exact copy without the Rampant Colt for less.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bronco45, Here is a factory job. You might want to consider going this way

Double action only,bobbed hammer,and hard chromed finish.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've sent an e-mail to diamonback68 and asked him if he'll post a photo of my Magnum Carry with a hammer shroud, Badger grips, and a Tyler trigger shoe, which I would not use if it were my "always" gun,

John

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I am posting this pic for JCM298A, I will leave the commentary to him.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
265 Posts
diamonback68,

Thank you for posting the rather poor quality photo. It's the first one I took with my new digital.

The shroud is from an old blue Detective Special that the department was de-activating in order to turn it into a training gun. I convinced the armorer to give it to me, intending to have it installed on my Cobra. I never did that and it stayed in my tool box for 20 years. When I bought the Magnum Carry in `98 or `99, I had a `smith buff off the blue and mount it for me.

The Badgers were installed after a long talk with Jim at Badger. They are the best fitting grips I've ever owned.

The Tyler trigger shoe was in the tool box for 20+ years. I buffed it and put it on to assist in sighting it in. It would come off if the gun were my "always" gun.

The gun never shot as well as my Smith 649 and finally, at the suggestion of some members here, I sent it back to Colt to cure the problem. It now shoots nearly as well as the 649.

My next project is getting a set of Mustang grips on it. I had a set on the Cobra but they went with the gun when I traded it. They were the best "hand-filling" snub grips I ever owned. After searching for years, I found that the JUDGE had a set. I just bought them last week. I had to inlet them to fit around the shroud. I also trimmed a 1/2 inch from the bottom. They are going to be sent to HammerDown so he can do his magic. When they come back, I'll ask diamonback68 to post another photo.

diamonback68, Thanks again,

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 07-10-2004).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great photos of classic guns. I've ordered a set of the Badger grips. About the Bobbed hammer. How much metal can you take off without suffering a weak hammer fall?

·
Registered
31 Posts
How did the factory work turn out for you guys? I might be interested in a little work on my DS......

------------------
John
Northern CA

"Life brings us both sorrows and joys alike- it is what a man does with them, not what they do to him- that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

[This message has been edited by Poohgyrr (edited 08-05-2004).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the Badger grips and have them installed on the Cobra. Turned my some time carry gun (due to the big grips) into a full time carry it there Cobra.

Well designed and perfectly functional for self defense--short or long range.

·
Registered
23 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bronco45:
Great photos of classic guns. I've ordered a set of the Badger grips. About the Bobbed hammer. How much metal can you take off without suffering a weak hammer fall?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question, and one I'm about to find out the answer to.
I bought an extra hammer for my Cobra and gave it to a 'smith last week to bob and install for me. That way I'd still have the original too.
I wonder if the strike is too weak if a guy couldn't install a slightly heavier mainspring to compensate?

RDave

·
Registered
167 Posts
This one came from the factory just like this:

It's an SF-VI

------------------
If the horse don't pull you got to carry the load

[This message has been edited by clang (edited 08-11-2004).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Buddy you e mailed me about this holster. I assume Bucheimer or Tex Shoemaker made it for them.

The curl at the top of the holster is attributed to Hank Sloan an FBI agent who had that piece added to the rig to protect his clothing from sight snags.

The body of the holster is a common Tom Threepersons type pouch.

Send a picture to Tex Shoemaker they are on the Internet and see if they will duplicate that holster. Milt Sparks makes a close facsimile for that holster but don't know if he will make it for a small 2". Give em a call or email.

·
Registered
182 Posts
B.Garrett, Colt quit selling holsters around 1973. Check all used holster bargain boxes at gun shows and stores . I also obtained a few fom auction sites. In fact I just got its twin brother in black .
Acre5

1 - 20 of 22 Posts