Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a New Service in 455 Eley, manufactured in 1919, that was rechambered for 45 Colt. It was a hatchet job and I have to pound out the fired cases, also there is some pitting in 3 of the chambers. I would like to get another cylinder preferably already chambered for 45 Colt or a 455 Eley that I could have rechambered properly. Anyone got one for sale?
HOSS

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Welcome to the Forum,Hossman. Probably pick up a New Service .45 Colt cylinder on "fleabay",but even with photos,you never know what you are getting,especially with chambers & bores. Depends on how good it is,what comes with it(crane etc.)and most importantly,how much another buyer(s) want it. Have you checked with a good local gunsmith who could hone out your chambers? Based on what I've seen on the online auctions,$100 or so is about the price of a used cylinder/with some parts included,so a good gunsmithing job might be cheaper. Good Luck,Bud

·
Registered
97 Posts
Changing cylinders likely wouldn't be a simple parts swap. All of the Colt vee spring actions require fitting, fitting requires a thorough knowledge of the Colt action.

Before spending money on parts I'd recommens securing the opinion of a gunsmith who is competent to work on the older Colt D.A. revolvers. Cylinder and Slide and Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters are two excellent firms with which to do business.

Though It does not cover this action in detail, Jerry Kuhnhausen's book the Colt Double Action Revolvers, A Shop Manual, Volume I, VSP Publishers, McCall, Idaho, 1988 gives a very good overview of the problems and solutions routinely encountered in working on this class of revolver.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lonewolf,
Honing won't do it because my main problem is that the chambers are to large now, about 3 thousandths, that is why the cases have to be pounded out.
Thanks for the input from both of you.
HOSS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts