Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie alert!

I just bought my first revolver, a barely used Trooper MK III in .357 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Before I shoot it for the first time, I was hoping to find out how much cylinder play is normal. Whether or not the hammer is cocked, the cylinder on my gun rotates about 1mm back and forth. It also moves very slightly front to back (not much though - perhaps about the width of a sheet of printer paper.)

Is my new baby OK, or should I be concerned? Thanks.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
all revolvers must have some play/clearence to operate correctly, there are spec`s for this play.on a used gun inspect the front of the cyl for any rings that would indicate the cyl hits the bbl during recoil, also inspect the ratchet seat at the other end for any signs of ratchet peening both are signs something is amiss.inspect the forcing cone area for any irregular wear or leading.test the hammer{gun unloaded of course} to see that it will not push off when cocked{average pressure} cock the empty gun and make sure the cyl will not rotate out of lock with the bolt in either direction{again average pressure}if these check out ok i would test fire the weapon.the guns general overall appearence should be a good indicator of it`s condition.most colt revolvers will last a lifetime, sadly most that dont are abused/modified buy less than intelligent owners.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[ QUOTE ]
...test the hammer{gun unloaded of course} to see that it will not push off when cocked{average pressure} cock the empty gun and make sure the cyl will not rotate out of lock with the bolt in either direction{again average pressure}

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply icdux2. Please forgive my ignorance, but what does checking a hammer for "push off" entail?

Also, I checked the gun and the cylinder does rotate back and forth slightly (about 1mm) when the hammer is fully cocked. How do I check if the cylinder is out of alignment with the bolt?

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
the hammer push off test checks that no one has altered the hammer/trigger notches.cock the EMPTY gun, with the hammer at full cock and your finger no where close to the trigger. push the hammer forward, then side to side. use a moderate pressure. hammer should not fall if everything is correct.the bolt is the part that locks the cyl in correct alignment,you can see if it`s engaged in the bolt recess machined on the outside of the cyl. again there must be room for the bolt to slip into this small slot, that is the slight play you feel. as long as you cannot rotate the cyl either way{with moderate pressure}you are good.i forgot to tell you earlier to also check the bore before you test fire. hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts