Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

Could someone please explain what "cylinder wear" is? Specifically, I'm referring to a line of wear all the way around the cylinder, towards the handle, where the small protruding tab is situated at the bottom of the cylinder-housing on the roght side of the piece. What causes this? Is it normal?

Michael.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The drag line is perfectly normal and I doubt you will ever find a gun that has been turned some that doesn't have the line. Drag lines are more predominant on Smiths than on Colts, in my opinion, because of the lockwork and timing.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, even in a gun which hasn't been shot all that much, this is NOT indicative of a timing problem such as the bolt dropping too early?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Although, it is technically possible to time a revolver so the bolt drops close enough to the cylinder notch to avoid a drag line, it's not normally done. S&W factory reps say it can cause problems with double action rapid fire lockup, if the bolt is timed to drop late enough to avoid the drag line. I have never questioned a Colt rep about this specific item, so I'm not sure how Colt's engineers view this, but I would assume the same to be true for a Colt revolver. Perhaps, someone else here, has discussed this directly with a knowledgeable Colt factory rep, and can share the info with us, since independant gunsmiths may have varying opinions.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The only gun I have ever seen that didn't have the cylinder ring, is a Bill Mundan tuned Single Action Army. I heard he guarantees the timing on his SAA's is so fine as not to produce a drag line. Of course these are single action only guns.

As ohiobuckeye said, it is technically possible, but why spend all that money just to say you have a gun with no drag line like everybody else's. There is nothing wrong with the timing on guns that have the ring.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, thanks for the help... I really appreaciate it!

Michael.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,904 Posts
Any AND ALL revolvers will eventually develop a bolt drag line.

S&W, Ruger, Taurus, Dan Wesson, and the later Colt's like the Trooper Mark III/King Cobra are specifically designed so that the bolt will ride on the cylinder for most of it's rotation.

Only the old Colt's like the Python have an action in which the bolt is timed to drop into the ramp-like leade on the cylinder.

BUT.
Even Colt's develop the drag line, because when the revolver cylinder is closed, the cylinder usually has to be turned slightly to allow it to lock up.

This turning marks the cylinder, and over a short period of time, the drag line appears.

So, all double action revolvers will develop a drag line if they are handled any at all.

This is totally normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts