Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I lived in the Seattle area, I had a gunsmith who was very good with Colt revolvers. He did some work on a Police Positive Special for me and while we were talking once, he said that Colt made major changes in the D-frame around 1966. Among other things, he said that the grip frame was shortened, the front sight was changed slightly, and all calibers except .38 Special were dropped in the PPS, DS, Cobra, and Agent. Colt retained the 22 long rifle in the Diamondback. When I was in Kansas taking care of my grandmother in the late 1960's, I sent off to Colt for a catalogue, and this seems to have been bourne out.
Is my understanding correct? Was 1966 the year that Colt made the changes?
Thanks in advance.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Circa 1966 was the grip frame change. Any issues/models except the DB as noted that "start" after that seem to be only 38 special. I would guess that some existing issues/models that spanned that time might have been subject to some continuation under the heading of the famous last ditch parts clean up, but I do not know for certain. Probably someone else has some specifics. :cool:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. If that is the case, then I may have one of the last 32 caliber PPS's to leave the factory. It has the shortened grip frame, the new front sight (where the front is flattened off). It is also unfired, has the original factory box and paperwork and the cylinder has never been turned on it. According to my Colt dates of manufacturing book, it was made in 1965.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Again, generalizations can lead to ....:confused: The ramp sight was introduced circa 1948 along with several "minor" frame and works changes in the late 40s. TBOCF implies that all calibers were available for the life of the PPS, which was through 1970. So, a 1966 32 may have been neither the last nor parts cleanup. Wait for other input. :cool:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The Cobra was made in .22 lr.,3" bbl. only, as late as 1971-72,as I have one of the last ones.

The big change that led to the dropping of the .32 caliber(.32 S&W Long,or .32 Colt New Police as Hartford called to it),was the change to the SHROUDED bbl. on the D.Special,Cobra and other "snubbies". Shrouded bbls. in and around 73'-74',with "parts clean" up of course.

The rarest post was D Frame chambering is in .38 S&W,or .38 "Colt New Police". Last listing I can find is in a 64'catalog,for the D.S.,Cobra and the Police Positive.
Suppose Colt could supply it after that date,by just reaming the chambers shorter/fatter,and different bbl. roll marks. Not too popular after the war,except with one armored car firm.

IMO,ANY D Frame snub with factory original,SHROUDED bbl., in any caliber but .38 Special,will be rare(or a "one off").

Bud

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was at least one run of PPS's in 38 S&W/38 Colt NP for the British Colonial Office in the mid-1950's. I have one that was marked RHKP on the backstrap, indicating that it was issued to the Royal Hong Kong Police, and the serial number tells me that it left Hartford in 1955. It has a lanyard loop and a dull finish that I assume is some form of phosphate intended for tropical service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts