Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I lived in the Seattle area, I had a gunsmith who was very good with Colt revolvers. He did some work on a Police Positive Special for me and while we were talking once, he said that Colt made major changes in the D-frame around 1966. Among other things, he said that the grip frame was shortened, the front sight was changed slightly, and all calibers except .38 Special were dropped in the PPS, DS, Cobra, and Agent. Colt retained the 22 long rifle in the Diamondback. When I was in Kansas taking care of my grandmother in the late 1960's, I sent off to Colt for a catalogue, and this seems to have been bourne out.
Is my understanding correct? Was 1966 the year that Colt made the changes?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. If that is the case, then I may have one of the last 32 caliber PPS's to leave the factory. It has the shortened grip frame, the new front sight (where the front is flattened off). It is also unfired, has the original factory box and paperwork and the cylinder has never been turned on it. According to my Colt dates of manufacturing book, it was made in 1965.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was at least one run of PPS's in 38 S&W/38 Colt NP for the British Colonial Office in the mid-1950's. I have one that was marked RHKP on the backstrap, indicating that it was issued to the Royal Hong Kong Police, and the serial number tells me that it left Hartford in 1955. It has a lanyard loop and a dull finish that I assume is some form of phosphate intended for tropical service.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.