Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
I think it's a little high, for such an obsolete caliber. If it was in .38 Special, in that condition, it would be about a $350 gun in my area. So why pay $200 more for one in .41 that is a pain to reload and shoot?

Looks like a 1920 Army Special to me, I'm not sure but believe sometimes they weren't marked so.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Officers Model 2nd Issue? It looks like the S# is 444288..., but wouldn't it be marked thusly instead of simply DA .41???

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The checkering on the grips goes above the medallion...a later model than the S# on the revolver? I'm totally stumped on this one.

Heeeeeelp!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Colt New Army & Navy Double Action Revolver, with the wrong grips?

No...the cylinder release is wrong...

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
It's a 1919 Army Special.

Buck

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
First of all, I'm a shooter, not a collector. The gun is a .41 Long Colt, hard to find ammunition at a reasonable. Project gun? If you have access to parts needed, convert to .38 Special or some other more common caliber. Gun does not seem to have original grips, or barrel.

As has been said, $350 would be good price. If it fits a place in your collection, or you really want that gun, then maybe $500 tops.

Its all up to you.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I was at a loss. I traded a 4", SS, GP100 for it. Maybe a bad trade moneywise, but now I have another Colt I didn't have before, and hopefully the experts will see this and clear up my confusion.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
My .41 L. Colt chambered Colt Army Specials says Colt Army Special 41. I would guess you have a barrel from a Colt New Army (which would be marked DA .41) on an Army Special. Hope you reload or ammunition can be pricey. The .41 L. Colt is a fun caliber. Interesting Colt.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looks like the front, blade sight is correct for the Army Special, and not for the New Army. Adding to my confusion...In fact, comparing them it looks like only the roll mark is off.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Has it been re-barreled? Wouldn't the roll mark say, "Army Special .41"?
I believe Buck is correct in that it is a 1919 Army Special, and I'd say yes, it has been re-barreled - probably using an older New Army & Navy barrel.

Reactions: thecoltguy

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
430 Posts
I have a New Model Army & Navy commercial (Model 1895) made in 1900 and all it has on the barrel is Colt .38 DA.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I thought the 'New Army' and 'New Navy' Revolvers, had Barrels which met the Frame with no 'Boss'...no 'swell'?

The Barrel diameter did not graduate into an enlarged aspect, where it meets the Frame...

This Barrel has the 'boss' or 'swell' associated with a later era, long after New Army or New Navy had ceased production.

Were replacement Barrels made in the 'later' Style, for use on the New Army or New Navy? ( even as one sometimes sees post War replacement Barrels, for the New service, which are different than the pre-War Barrels in some ways ).

Otherwise, I have never seen an 'Army Special' which did not say 'Army Special' on the Barrel, right there with the Cartridge designation Text.

So, this is rather mysterious!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts