Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone had to do it. Later than this, call Colt.

Date Chart DA.jpg

Note that there is a likely entry error in other versions of this chart for the Python from 1982 to 1983. Other versions show >K99999 for 1983 implying that K serials "start" at K99999 in 1983. I doubt it. IMO it is more likely that they ran to K99999 then started the T serials or the Ts even ran concurrent. I have shown it that way. However, that does not identify the breaking numbers between 1982 and 1983.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is already indicated by the chart. The numbers in the chart are the beginning number for the year. :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Commando Special

A1A,

The Commando Special is not listed in your types of D-frames. I have one from 1984 with serial number P735xx, but it does not have a K suffix. How sure are you about the "K"?

BTW, the serial number itself has a prefix - D8320 - which I suspect is the model number.

Buck

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A1A,

The Commando Special is not listed in your types of D-frames.
This is true. That is because I transcribed the chart from Colt, An American Legend and R.L. Wilson didn't include it. ;) So, it is just another one of the D frames.

I have one from 1984 with serial number P735xx, but it does not have a K suffix. How sure are you about the "K"?
Actually, I am quite sure there is no K. :) This is another case of blindly transcribing, just like Proofhouse. The charts in the book have the K. Since I couldn't build or include a chart in a post, I printed and scanned it and included it as an image. Then I had a hard disk crash and lost the file. So, I erased the Ks using the erase function on the jpeg in Photobucket. If you clear your cache and re-access the post, you will see that they are gone.

BTW, the serial number itself has a prefix - D8320 - which I suspect is the model number.
I presume the D8320 "prefix" is on a box label and not the gun? D8320 is indeed the Commando Special model number. :)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I have python numbers for 1986-1998.
if you want to date your newer python just email me
tom

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Commando Special

I presume the D8320 "prefix" is on a box label and not the gun? D8320 is indeed the Commando Special model number. :)
That must be it. It's not on the gun (which I just dug out of the safe). Funny thing, I've had this gun since it was new, and the box must have have been so marked, but I'll be darned if I remember it or what I did with it. Senior moment, I guess...

Buck

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. That would be correct. In some cases like yours a range of numbers for the year is shown and in others just the starting number of that sequence in that year. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ds-2

I am looking at this at a gun shop. I would like some info on it. Colt DS II 3 inch 8716 and two letters. They want $900. Is it worth that? :confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts

Note that there is a likely entry error in other versions of this chart for the Python from 1982 to 1983. Other versions show >K99999 for 1983 implying that K serials "start" at K99999 in 1983. I doubt it. IMO it is more likely that they ran to K99999 then started the T serials or the Ts even ran concurrent. I have shown it that way. However, that does not identify the breaking numbers between 1982 and 1983.
For what it is worth... I just got a factory letter on my Colt Python 2.5 inch barrel, royal blue, serial number: T994XX that was shipped form the factory on June 17th, 1991. So the "T" serial numbers made it out to to most of 1991 if not beyond.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kinda confused. My 6" Trooper Mark III is marked "21XX9 J" (where x=a whole number 0-9) - this matches nothing here or Proofhouse, although if I read between the lines at Proofhouse, it's a 1973. Is this correct?

Thanks!

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, that chart is a little different. It shows beginning and ending numbers for some ranges, apparently because there were gaps. Usually the charts just show beginning numbers for a year. So, the J suffix numbers started in 1973 with 01601J and continued in 1974 starting at 28801J. Therefore, as you deduced, 21xx9J would be attributed to 1973. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow - sweet. Thanks for the quick reply. The gun is pretty much mint looking, but it's a shooter. Very accurate, but has a minor very intermittent glitch in the mechanism I need to straighten out.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts